Arin A. California

Global Warming

Global Warming is a big part of the problem with our modern world. How can you help us?

Global warming is defined as a gradual increase in the overall temperature of the Earth's atmosphere generally attributed to the greenhouse effect caused by increased levels of carbon dioxide, chlorofluorocarbons, and other pollutants. The overall increase of global temperatures seems to be at an all time high and it doesn't seem to be stopping anytime soon, this increase can lead to mass extinctions in the future, including humanity. According to National Geographic, since 1880, the global average temperature has increased 1.4 degrees Fahrenheit, and by 2040 the Arctic is expected to see its first completely ice-less summer, leading to the immediate extinction of the Polar Bear population. Earthtalk states that the point of no return for global warning for carbon dioxide levels are 450 parts per million in the atmosphere, and currently we are at 398.55 parts per million, which is dangerously close and is predicted to occur by the year 2042. 

As the future leader of the most influential and powerful country in the world it will be your responsibility to gather the divided global community  and find an immediate solution to this problem. The current Obama Administration struggled to get the international community together in Paris and the biggest eyes for pollution control must be set on the USA, India, and China.  Your next four years in office will be crucial for this issue because we do not have any time to waste if the "deadline" is by 2042. It will be your responsibility to be the leader of changing polluting policies and switching from coal powered plants and gas powered cars to solar and wind powered plants and electric powered cars.  

Another huge challenge you will have to face on this issue is to be able to communicate to those who believe global warming is fake and those who believe it is not caused by humans. There is overwhelming evidence that shows that global warming is real. NASA has come out with extensive amount of data confirming that global warming is absolutely real and it is caused by humans. But there is an issue, Americans don't care about facts they care about perceptions, so presenting to them your data will not be enough, you will have to change their perceptions about the planet and what we are doing to it. That will not be easy. You will to also face up to the large oil and gas companies that are against the innovation of electricity that can make them go out of business and large oil exporting countries like Saudi Arabia.

This problem of global warming may not concern many presidents to come and politicians because most politicians are in their fifties and sixties and will probably not live to see the day that the carbon dioxide levels hit 450 parts per million or the complete melting of the Arctic Ice, my parents will probably not even live to see that day but we will. I will be 42 years old if the prediction of the point of no return holds true about halfway through my life and I will see the world around me deteriorating. There is a large chance that my kids can be the last generation of humanity on this planet, and if not they will be the last to see the planet in its real natural form. I write you this letter as mayday because we are too young to join the political world to try to make a change, so we need to rely on you that you give us some breathing room, what you do as President will directly affect our future and the future of our planet. Thank you

Best Regards, 

Arin M. A.

Newbury Park High School

IB Lang & Lit HL 1 - Period 3A (Lilly)

Newbury Park's period 3A IB Lang & Lit course