Karry Washington

College Tuition And Students In Debt

I hope you focus on college tuitions because there many students who are in debt because of the expensive prices.

I believe college tuition should be more affordable for everyone. After students finish college, many of them are left in huge debts and have to work extra hard just to pay it all off. Also, some students can’t pay it back because they have a hard time trying to find a job. It’s unbelieveable how much debt college/former students are in. I hope you focus on college tuitions because there many students who are in debt because of the expensive prices.

From the Student Loan Hero (a page with some facts about students in debt), their most recent reports indicate that there is “$1.26 trillion in total U.S. student loan debt”. Also from student Loan Hero, there are “44.2 million Americans with student loan debts”. This is very surprising because there are so many students in debt and that owe so much. Do you really think continuing high college prices will get you out of the debt? Like I said before, some students have to work so hard to pay off these loans. According to Student Debt Crisis, a student wrote, “Today, 9 years after graduating from college I still stay up nights with knots in my stomach, constant dread and the weight of the world on my shoulders” (Faith). This is sad to hear because most people further their education to get a job that will support them but they can barely do that because they have to spend all that money paying their college tuition or loans.

This is important to me because my sister has been out of college for seven years and till this day she is still paying off her college loans. It’s also important to me because I am a senior and would love to go to the best fit college but I feel so limited to my options because they are very expensive. Not just that but now a lot of jobs require a type of degree. If most jobs require a degree or furthering your education, they shouldn’t make it so expensive to where most people can’t afford it or leaves them in debt.

I strongly believe college tuition should be more affordable because so many students are left in debt. If furthering your education leads you to better and more opportunities, then why should people have to pay so much? People who cannot afford these prices won’t be able to get these opportunities. I suggest that college tuition be more affordable or lowered but it can come with requirements. If a student is constantly getting bad grades or isn’t showing up to classes, they would pay money for all the time they had wasted or can be removed from that school. I am writing this to you in hopes you will read this letter and take it into consideration that college tuition should be more affordable for everyone.

Karry C.

Foster High School

Tukwila, WA

Foster High School

Gamboa 4th Period Civics

4th period Civics and Current Events taught by Ms. Gamboa.