Seth H. Pennsylvania

Syria

A Warning to the Next President....

To the next president of the United States of America:

I realize that you are very busy, so I'll get to the point. The conflict in Syria is a rather important one. Now that America and, in response, Russia have gotten involved, what would have been a minuscule civil conflict, lasting no more than a year or two, has escalated into an extremely deadly and volatile war. Many lives have been claimed and nearly any discussion of it is polarizing. It brings to question the Islamic ideology as well as the idea of cultural equality. After all, if all cultures are equal, why aren't people jumping fences to get into Syria? Those discussions cannot be regulated or otherwise affected by legislature. However, both presidential candidates, that actually have a chance of winning, have put forth similar plans that involve increased American military presence and law enforcement in Syria. I write to you now to say that these plans are entirely counter intuitive. Both plans make mention of establishing a no-fly zone over Syria, so any and all air traffic would cease. At first glance, this seems like a great idea. It seems that strict law enforcement would resolve the conflict, but it won't. All a no-fly zone can hope to accomplish is initiating further bloodshed. A country, no matter how powerful, cannot enforce laws in another country without a formal or informal declaration of war. Each country has its government, and any violent opposition to that government will result in war. When the Confederate states rebelled against the American government, there was war. When the Catholic church in Rome began taking control of the German government, there was war. Any self-respecting government, including that of Syria, will go to war with a militant force that opposes it and actively tries to augment the country. If America begins enforcing laws in Syria, Syria will declare war. Now, war with Syria isn't so bad. We would just have to ally with one side of their current civil war. Half of Syria can't fend off the other half and all of America. But, war with Syria can no longer be simply war with Syria. Now, it would include war with Russia. A war with Russia is a war we can't afford to fight. Russia is the only country in the world with more nuclear firepower than America and both presidential candidates want to go to war with them. The next major war will be fought with nukes. Nuclear war can only result in massive amounts of death, both human and inhuman. The vast amount of ash will seep into the atmosphere and blot out the sun, a phenomena known as Nuclear Winter. Not only will a nuclear war kill those fighting, it will also either kill any other life on this planet, or make its life a living hell. And now, there is about a 99% chance that tomorrow, a leader will be elected that will provoke this war. I speak for all logical human beings when I say that this no-fly zone policy, no matter who wins the election, should not and cannot be enacted.

Elizabethtown Area High School

2016 Fall Honors World History

A collection of questions, lessons learned, and pressing thoughts from my 2016 Fall Honors World History students at Elizabethtown Area High School to the next President of the United States on the topic of foreign policy and pressing international issues