Anonomyous_1503 Texas

Minimum Wage

Why we should raise the minimum wage?

November 2016

I am a freshman, currently attending Central High School in Keller, Texas. I am writing to you to discuss the issue of minimum wage. Minimum wage should be raised to at least $15 an hour. This raise can change lives by moving a lot of people from poverty and helping them create a better life for themselves and their families.

According to the article “Understanding how Raising the Federal Minimum Wage Affects Income Inequality and Economic Growth”

written by , Heather Boushey “,raising the minimum wage to $10.10 an hour will reduce the poverty rate for non-elderly Americans to 15.8 percent by 2016 from current 17.5 percent levels. This increase would bring about 6.8 million people out of poverty” Just by raising the minimum wage a bit can make a big difference. Other might say that this will ruin the economy. To respond I say that it will actually, in fact, help the economy. From the same article above, “Understanding how Raising the Federal Minimum Wage Affects Income Inequality and Economic Growth”, Heather also states that “, Raising the minimum wage will have positive economic effects above and beyond lowering the poverty rate. Economic research points to the conclusion that a higher minimum wage does not cause greater unemployment, boosts productivity, and addresses the growing problem of rising income inequality.” This proves that raising the minimum wage would do more good than bad.

Raising the minimum wage can also make college a possibility for poor or low-income families. As said by students from Pennsylvania State University, in the article “ Should the Federal Minimum Wage be Increased” “,a college degree is out of reach for many people from low-income families, making the gap (of low income to middle class) even worse.” Others might say that they can get grants and scholarships.While this may for some not everyone can get scholarships and grants are usually not enough for well-known colleges. I say well-known colleges because, in competitive jobs , which most of all jobs are, the employer looks for the better person. By raising the minimum wage the family and the student can work and save for college tuition and other fees.

This is important for us to raise the minimum wage for low-income families and college students. It can help move them from poverty and make college affordable. This is why it is a necessity to raise the minimum wage to $15 an hour. To provide a chance for people to escape poverty and create a better future.

Sincerely, Anonomyous

Central High School

English I Pre-AP

Make sure to post your BEST draft.