Emmy F. Louisiana

Poverty in small towns

Poverty in Small towns, is often over looked. The next president, really needs to take into consideration how that can be positively changed.

Dear Mr. or Mrs. President, 

I have been alive for fifteen years, I'll be sixteen in March. I believe that I'm pretty educated on politics. I've lived in Mississippi and Louisiana, and I've seen more poverty than anything. Poverty surrounds us, especially in small towns. Poverty is everywhere. 

There are people walking the streets that don't know where they're sleeping tonight, or if they'll have enough food for their families until they get paid again. To me, poverty is one of the worst things we have, especially in small towns because it is over-looked. President after president seem that they over look our small rural towns that have less than fifteen-thousand people, with barely any jobs and even less homes that are suitable for families. We need jobs and better schooling. If more children were taught in an environment that helped and educated without making them feel inferior, they would learn better and then they would head out into the world knowing more, and being able to continue onto college and get jobs. Poverty wouldn't be a problem. I drive through this town everyday, and there are so many things that need to be changed. There are abandoned buildings, grass that begs to be cut, and teenagers that walk the street and do not know where they are going. I believe that I go to a very good school, but not even a mile down the road there is a high school and not very many of those children are there to learn. They are there so they don't get into trouble, or to play sports. Although those are important things, on average seven athletes make it to the 'big leagues'. When you have boys that are there that only attend so they can play sports, they don't know how slim of a chance they have. 

Success is what will get them what they need and where they want to go. Success will demolish the poverty ratings. With better schools, and more jobs poverty can be cut down. Although it will take a lot of time and effort, it is not impossible. Thank you for reading, and I hope you take my letter into thought when you are given the title of president. 

Emily Foster

Delta Charter School

DCS Civics

Delta Charter School Civics Classes