Hannah T. Texas

Animal Abuse

Speak Up For Those Who Cannot Speak For Themselves: Stop Animal Abuse!

Congratulations on winning the election, and thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to read this letter. I would like to bring a very important topic to your attention-  Dog abuse

Dog abuse is a common problem in America. According to the website Statistic Brain, an average of 1,920 cases are reported each year. About sixty percent of these cases refer to dog abuse. Abuse, neglect, and cruelty of dogs comes in many forms. Examples include owners neglecting their animal’s basic needs, training them for dog fighting, hoarding them in unsanitary environment, beating, drowning, and poisoning them. We need to stop animal abuse of dogs here in America because we have a very important symbiotic relationship with our canine friends. President, I believe you and I can stop humans from abusing dogs because we need to continue our partnership in the society.

What is the purpose of humans co-existing with animals one might ask? The benefits are many and include enhancing our lives by improving our health, well being and keeping us safe.

How do animals make us healthy, keep us safe and even save our lives? A 2002 research study found that having a loving companion such as a dog can decreases your heart rate and blood pressure and can make you happier! Also, it has been proven that a dog can reduce anxiety; detect many cancers by the human scent; sense imminent heart attacks and calm stress levels. Some dogs are trained and specialized to help those human who are blind, autistic, diabetic, war veterans and disabled by helping them with their daily activities.

Domestic animals such as a dog can be trained to detect illegal drugs, bombs, and infestations within a building. Trained dogs can help the search and rescue effort after natural disasters such as earthquakes, avalanches, floods, and tornadoes.

I agree that having a pet dog is very expensive and can be burdensome. When it becomes ill, veterinary visits are costly, and cures are highly priced. Training, boarding, maintaining, and exercising your companion can be quite the struggle as well. In the end, an animal that wets on the carpet, destroys your furniture and just makes a mess can be less rewarding for all they money you spend on it. But instead of thinking about all the burdens your companion has placed on your back, remember that your pooch can make you smile everyday and can make you and your family happier and healthier.

I understand that some will say that only a few animals have the ability to detect illegal drugs or bombs. Besides, it is very expensive to train a dog to perform those special task, and there are not many available for the population. I also understand that using our canine friends to detect diseases is not scientific, but it is worth exploring.

President, we humans love our four legged friends and we need to protect them against other humans who are abusive towards them. I propose a campaign called “PAWS, and REPORT ABUSE.” The three main goals of this campaign are to:

1) Bring awareness that dog abuse is wrong and inhumane

2) Recognize signs of dog abuse

3) Report dog abuse to the proper authorities.

In conclusion, dogs are man’s best friend. We need to protect them so that all of our lives are enriched by their unconditional love. I hope you take this letter into consideration and thank you for your time, President.  

Sincerely, Hannah T.

@NC4HR. "The Benefits of Pets for Human Health - National Center for Health Research ." National Center For Health Research. 09 Aug. 2016. Web. 02 Nov. 2016.

"Animal Testing - ProCon.org." ProConorg Headlines. Web. 03 Nov. 2016.

"Can Dogs Detect Health Problems in People?" Animal Planet Can Dogs Detect Health Problems in People Comments. 02 Mar. 2015. Web. 02 Nov. 2016.

"The Cruelty of Lab Animal Testing." Down to Earth Organic and Natural. Web. 02 Nov. 2016.

"Golden Blossom Honey." - Honey Education: Learn Bee Facts, Honey Trivia, Honey Nutrition Facts and More! Web. 02 Nov. 2016.

Greenwood, Arin. "Dog Fighting Is A Huge Problem, And Many Cops Agree We Need To Do More About It." The Huffington Post. TheHuffingtonPost.com. Web. 03 Nov. 2016.

Harden, Seth. "Animal Abuse Statistics." Statistic Brain. 07 Sept. 2016. Web. 02 Nov. 2016.

"In Defense of Animal Reports." In Defense of Animal Reports. Web. 02 Nov. 2016.

"Recognizing the Signs of Animal Cruelty." - Connecticut Humane Society. Web. 06 Nov. 2016.

"What Is the Purpose of Animals?" - Dear Noah. Web. 02 Nov. 2016.

Http://www.facebook.com/erika.alonso.5205. "List of Organizations | Animal Charity Evaluators." Animal Charity Evaluators. Web. 06 Nov. 2016.

Cedar Valley M.S. - Roberts' ELA

Roberts ELA

This is where Mrs. Roberts' students will write persuasive letters to the next president, using persuasive strategies.