Evan R. California

College Football Players Should Be Paid

College football players deserve to be paid. They risk their bodies for their school and people have came up with a solution for paying college athletes.

It is hard for college football players to work with their life, without a scholarship, so they should be paid. College football players should be paid because they work very hard and they are likely to get injured. The University of Texas made a 104 million in revenue in 2011. The players are the ones doing all of the work for the team, they should get paid too. College football players should get paid too. College football players should get paid because it could keep more players in school, they give up their bodies for their school, and will help teach financial responsibility.

College football players need to be paid some money for their work and it would benefit or affect players in a way for their future life. An article states that, “Sometimes the decision to leave school is purely economical as many players are lured to the potential money that can be made at the next level.”(Top 10 Reasons College Football Players Should Get Paid) This would affect the players because if they were not to finish their 4 years of college and make a pro team’s roster, they might not get a good enough job to support themselves. Also, “. . . sacrifice their bodies almost daily and put themselves in danger for each and every game.”(Top 10 Reasons College Football Players Should Get Paid) Football players are very prone to getting injured, and if serious enough, it could keep them from getting a job. Lastly, “. . .it would be nice for even just a few players to learn some of life’s important lessons.”(Top 10 Reasons Football Players Should Get Paid) By getting money in college, it could help players be more responsible with how they use it. There are several other ways how players are affected by getting paid or not and people have came up with a possible solution for that.

People are still hesitant about paying college football players, but people think they have come up with a solution. For example, “. . .let athletes benefit from their fame and likeness like every other student at our colleges and universities.”(Solution Regarding Paying College Athletes or Not is Simple) It is trying to explain that money that players earn from fame and popularity as well as their hard work on the field should actually go to them. Also, “Let them take endorsement money like the coaches that lead them.”(Solution Regarding Paying College Athletes or Not is Simple) Players feel like if their coach can get money from endorsements, they should get money too for working hard on the field. Lastly, “Music students in college are free to accept cash or gifts for playing a weekend gig at the local club. What makes athletes different?”(Solution Regarding Paying College Athletes or Not is Simple) The players feel like if others that don’t risk their bodies are allowed to get paid, then they should be allowed to too.

Many people think that college players are not mature enough to handle the responsibility of handling money. In my opinion, college football players deserve to be paid like anyone else can. College football players should get paid because it could keep more players in school, they give up their bodies for their school, and will help teach financial responsibility. College football players getting paid is important because it can teach them important life lessons as they grow up to become mature adults. I want the U.S to start paying any type of college athletes because it could help the people in the world be more responsible with their decisions and uses of money.

Evan Ramirez                   

Peterson Middle School

8th Grade ELA

Middle School students from 8th Grade English