Amrisha S California

College expenses

College expenses are too high. Many students cannot go to college and are longing to get a higher education. Every person should get the opportunity to go to college since education is very important in our lives.

Going to college in the United States is a dream of many people. Many people get to fulfill these dreams, but some cannot due to the main reason, college expenses are too high and unaffordable. Good colleges are too expensive these days. Despite all the scholarships offered by the colleges, it is difficult for some families to meet the requirements. To achieve their life goals, several people need to take loans. The cost of college expenses is rising even faster than the cost of health care. In today’s world, people are craving to get a good education and a good life but are unable to because jobs are also demanding for a college degree now and it is not easy to get into college. I think college is too expensive and that is why we should lower the prices or cut college costs.

The amount of college expenses challenges the financial situation of many families, especially if there are multiple kids in the family. People who cannot afford the expenses ask their children to stick to community college or no college. “Per the College Board, the average cost of tuition and fees for the 2015–2016 school year was $32,405 at private colleges, $9,410 for state residents at public colleges, and $23,893 for out-of-state residents attending public universities.” (collegedata). These prices consist of only the tuition and fees and exclude other expenses such as the cost of dorms for a year, food, and books. The non-wealthy families cannot afford this. “Student loan debt is crippling for college students...10% of students graduate with over $40,000 in debt and about 1% have $100,000 in debt.” (ProCon.org). Students need to take loans to complete their education. They later end up having a lot of debt. Studying without loans is not feasible. It takes a long time to pay those loans off. “It used to be that once in an undergraduate career tuition would increase..." acting dean John T. Dunlop told The Crimson, the student newspaper, “...But from now on, unless inflation is halted, there's no choice in the matter but to continue raising tuition.” (CNBC.com) Tuition costs have been increasing continuously. It is too high for a non-wealthy family to afford. Any deduction in the tuition costs would help many families.

Furthermore, there are many solutions that could be considered to help reduce college expenses. People could get a higher level of education in high school. If students get to gain the amount of knowledge needed for a good job in high school, many people wouldn’t need to take loans and struggle to get into a well-known college that is expensive. Students could get a well-paid job without going through the outrageous college prices. Students should be granted more scholarship offers. This could help many students reduce the amount of money they would have to give for college. More scholarships could give a chance to the students who aren't able to join too. The students could also have less amount of debt to pay. College should stop increasing or reduce tuition costs. This would decrease a huge amount of money from their total expenses. The prices of college expenses would mostly remain the same and due to that people would have an idea of the amount of money they would need for their college and therefore, they could start saving ahead of times. They would have an opportunity to prepare themselves for college and plan everything accordingly.

In today’s world, it is very hard to get into a good college. Colleges are very expensive and unaffordable for many people. Many students are unable to attend college. In my opinion, we should reduce the cost of college expenses to minimal or even cut the costs. Expensive colleges are affecting many families and student's careers. If we allow more students to college we will have more educated people and more educated people would mean, more jobs. This can help our country in many ways. If we change few things such as reduce tuition costs and grant more scholarships etc., our nation can change drastically. Preventing students from getting higher education and fulfilling their dreams is affecting our future. I would like our future president to stand for these things and change them. I want our future president to help brighten our future.

Amrisha Srivastava

Peterson Middle School

8th Grade ELA

Middle School students from 8th Grade English