chase Oregon

Letter to the President

The cost of college tuition is increasing dramatically and students are having to find different ways for education.

The cost of college tuition has dramatically increasing over time, but why? Why make school so expensive that it turns people away?. There are hundreds of college students changing their career paths only because they don't want to or can’t pay for it.

According to the College Board, the average cost of tuition and fees for the 2015–2016 school year was $32,405 at private colleges, $9,410 for state residents at public colleges, and $23,893 for out-of-state residents attending public universities. Now, Mr. or Mrs. President, Ii'm not saying we shouldn't go to college all together. All Ii am saying is to help us come up with a much cheaper alternative. The proper schooling is required for many career paths, but how are we supposed to do those jobs when 50% of the teen population can’t even afford dinner every night?.

The argument over college tuition is quite a simple one. There are the banks and schools who want to profit off putting students in debt, and there are the families that can not afford to put their kids through a college education. But when you really look at the situation, it appears that it is affecting the total workforce of the future. At the current rate of the tuition price increasing above the inflation rate, at about a 15% overall increase per 5 years, the average student will be forced to look for other means of education in the future. Although many people may see this as a flaw, I think that we can both agree that we are headed in the right direction. Because teens won’t be able to attend college classes, jobs that don't require schooling will outburst with people trying to get jobs at every fast food restaurant in town.

One might ask where the extra money is going since faculty salaries have risen almost 0% in relation to the inflation rate. One might inquire about the athletic programs that benefit from tuition money. One might wonder if the business aspect of college should really be prioritized as high as it currently is. One might ask all of these questions, but thankfully we have answers. Mr. President, Ii truly believe you can help many teenagers become much more successful in the future.

Chase Barnes 

West Albany High School

American Literature

WAHS American Listerature