Alyssa L. California

LGBT+ Rights

LGBT + Rights

I’m writing because I’m concerned about LGBT+ rights. Even after the Supreme Court’s ruling has brought marriage equality to all 50 states, 32 states still lack clear and fully-inclusive non-discrimination protections for LGBT+ people.

The article, Why the Equality Act?, by the Human Rights Campaign, states, “The problems come up over and over again in the 32 states that don’t have clear, fully-inclusive LGBTQ non-discrimination laws. There’s the teacher who was fired after her principal found out she was planning to have a child with her partner. There’s the lesbian couple asked to leave a park while shooting maternity photos. And the transgender woman shamefully denied housing at a shelter. Despite the incredible progress on issues from marriage to military service, these stories are far too common.”

Campaign, Human Rights. "Why the Equality Act? | Human Rights Campaign."Human Rights Campaign. N.p., n.d. Web. 06 Oct. 2016.

Bernal Intermediate

The Lester Lovers

Mrs. Fresh's amazingly small and awesome class of 2016-2017. We are 8th graders who have lots of love for learning, laughing, and Lester (Holt - our favorite debate moderator).