Alexander R. California

Dear President-Elect Trump

These are my thoughts on what are the most important issues to me that I hope Trump is able to fix while in office. He was in no way my preferred candidate, but I sincerely hope he does the best job he can while in office.

Dear President-Elect Trump,

You may not have been my first choice as president, and I am not exactly thrilled about the results of the election, but I sincerely hope that you do the best job that you can. The biggest issue for me personally at this moment is the state that the public school system is in. They claim to cater to everyone’s needs, however i find that to be untrue. They put huge stress on group work and orginizational skills, which leaves kids like me who struggle to be social, or keep track of an item for more that 5 minutes struggling to keep their grades up. I’ll use myself as an example. I know everything that the class teaches ahead of time, but I have awful grades and struggle to bring them up because I have awful social skills, struggle to pay attention to anything. The current system of public education helps some kids, but leaves others like me in the dust, so I believe it needs reform to better help both sides of the spectrum.

Another issue that is very close to me is LGBT rights, such as gay marriage, or genderless bathrooms. I have several friends that identify as LGBT, and I’m worried for their safety and rights, as some of the things you and your supporters have said about them seems like their rights might be in jeopardy. If you denounced a lot of the things that your supporters have been saying about the LGBT community and racial minorities, it would do a lot to assuage many people’s worries.

As for the economy, I have little experience in this matter as I am only in the eighth grade and have minimal exposure to matters of this nature as a result. I do know however, that we need stability, and an increase in jobs. I do not believe that renegotiating trade deals that are beneficial to us as a nation is a great way to achieve that goal. Cutting taxes for the rich wouldn’t achieve that goal either: instead, you should raise taxes on the wealthy and lower them for the lower and middle class. That way, those working-class families would be able to save enough money from the lower taxes to send their children to college and provide more qualified workers to fill the jobs that you need to create whilst you are in office.

Another vital issue in this time of brazen terrorist attacks and high mental illness rates, is gun control. It is just to easy these days to put guns in the hands of the mentally disturbed and radical terrorists. There should be in-depth background checks for those wishing to purchase guns, there should be RFids installed in all firearms so that law enforcement can track their whereabouts at all times, to prevent tragic incidents like Sandy Hook and Columbine don’t happen again. Also it should be mandatory for a gun owner to report the loss or theft of a firearm to law enforcement as soon as they discover the incident. Also, assault weapons should be completely banned for commercial sale. This does not infringe on the second amendment, as citizens would still be able to purchase small firearms with small clips. Fixes to gun laws would personally give me a lot of peace of mind, as every day I am terrified that the events of Sandy Hook will repeat themselves at my school.

Thank you for your time and consideration, Alexander Rizzo

Aptos Middle School

Ethnic Studies @ Aptos Middle School

After the presidential election students in my Ethnic Studies classes were teeming with emotions, questions, and responses. I decided that Letters to the Next President was a great forum for them to be able to emote, pose those questions, and tell Donald J. Trump the kind of president they want him to be.