Halligan Michigan

Targeted Police

A new perspective of understanding the violence towards police.

I don't expect you to understand what it feels like to constantly be worried about the possibility of your father dying. Even from a young age I've always had this dark thought looming in the back of my mind that, my dad may not come home today. I tried my hardest to push this away, pretend that everything would be fine and think to myself, he will be home later. It has recently come to my attention that I can no longer ignore the fact that my father, a police officer, is being targeted by strangers who don't know him. He has been stereotyped into a group of “racist pigs” simply because he wanted to make the community that his children were growing up in, a better place.

I find it terrifying that strangers, people who don't know who I am, or what type of person my dad is, are making threats to kill officers and their families.They do it all for the hope of a false sense of justice, but what they don’t understand is that, there is no one to protect them.Truthfully, I must admit that stereotypes are true to a certain extent, therefore I do agree that there are some racist cops who do judge people based off the color of their skin, as there are also some other racist groups who assume that the only reason they were pulled over is because of their skin color. However the main issue that infuriates me is when groups like “Black Lives Matter” aspire to kill police officers. Officers that haven't even done anything wrong or aren't even racist simply are targeted because of their profession and the seldom amount of officers they are associated with. Black Lives Matter began as a movement “about ending fear — the fear that many black Americans feel when it comes to interacting with law enforcement.” It instead turned into an organization that progressed into wanting to “ATTACK EVERYTHING IN BLUE EXCEPT THE MAIL MAN” and “sprinkle Pig's Blood”. Its an endless cycle of blame and brutality, and very little has been advocated in an attempt to end this chain reaction that is the causation of the pain of officers and their families that many like myself must endure.

I propose that the youth of communities and the officers in their city develop relationships founded on trust and respect in order to evade anymore needless bloodshed. For example, if more programs like Coffee With a Cop and National Night Out, in Auburn Hills Mi are funded, more people would feel like they can trust cops and have a more personal connection with them. Officers would also feel a stronger, more positive connection with their community. This would induce a lower amount of violence. Another contributing factor to the tension is the way the media portrays each side's opinions in a biased way. People tend to react more dramatically towards negative news rather than positive news. The overall issue is that most news stations like CNN and Fox News are not independent or balanced and portray only one side of the news. Therefore, if the media portrays the full story of only facts, the reader can form their own opinion and get both sides.

As I previously stated, I don’t expect you to understand because I am not sure that I even understand all of this senseless violence. Our country has turned against the people that try their hardest to keep them safe. This anarchy will not stop unless you establish ways to build relationships between communities and their police officers, and make an unbiased news station. 

Eisele ELA 10 Honors 3rd Hour

3rd Hour