Katie7229 Minnesota

Dear Next President

Abortion in the United States; how there needs to be more awareness and respect for life.

Ronald Reagan once said, “I’ve noticed that everyone that is for abortion has already been born.” For most people, there is a fine line when it comes to what they believe is right and wrong when it comes to something like abortion. There are some people that believe that until the child is born, it isn’t really a human life. Others believe that after a certain amount of weeks, the fetus is a human. In reality, whatever the time the abortion occurs, it is still the taking of an innocent life.

In 2011 there were 1.06 million abortions in the United States alone. Now, statistics like this would normally make people feel accomplished. If it was for something different that is. As previously stated, there are many different ways people think of life. What it is and how it begins. Life really occurs when the sperm and the egg unite. It creates a single cell which is one of the most important characteristics of life. A single cell then grows to become bigger than itself. This agrees with the quote from Doctor Seuss, “A person’s a person no matter how small.”

Most abortions take place when the fetus less than 21 weeks old. This goes to the belief that the fetus cannot feel anything and is not a person. However, research shows that this is the time when the fetus can first feel pain as well as the fact that babies can smile early on in their development as well. It is completely unreasonable to think that abortion is in fact, okay, when there are facts like these. No one who is reasonable would hurt something so precious. If a person further doubts supporting life, read the ways that these babies are murdered. A few ways include having their skulls crushed, starving the fetus, and even injecting them with a poison that gives them a heart attack leading to death.

If a person can be convicted for shooting someone, killing your unborn child who has no chance should land you in prison for life. If you hadn’t been born yet, you would have a 20.3% chance of being aborted; that is almost a one in four chance. Now, many abortions are done because people feel as if they have no other choice. This is understandable in a way, but it would mean more to give the baby a life, even if it means altering yours. According to a study on LifeNews.com, over 50% of women suffer from PTSD after an abortion. With most abortions being done by women ages 24 and below, it is obvious that the younger generation needs more guidance and information. With the information on the destructiveness that it has to the baby and the after effects to the would be mother, most people would rethink.

I hope that you will strongly take into consideration the effect that abortion has. Please give thought to this and the lives of the unborn. Most importantly, remember how you are so lucky to be alive and give others that gift too.

Katie Hawkins

10th Grade

West St. Paul, MN

Henry Sibley High School

TEMPLE

Ms. Temple's classes