Brooke B. Minnesota

Stop Bullying

Physical bullying increases in elementary school, peaks in middle school and declines in high school. Verbal abuse, on the other hand, remains constant.

My name is Brooke Bosworth and I would like to discuss bullying and how it has become a big issue in schools. Around the United States, I think that we need to find a way to stop it as much as possible because every day kids don’t go to school because they are being bullied and no one stops it so we need to find a way to stop it.

I have witnessed bullying before and the student that was being bullied didn’t come to school the rest of the year and switched to online school because they were too afraid to come back and have to face the same bully all over again. What's even worse are the kids and adults who stand by watching and not even caring that it’s happening. They just watch and and don’t think that it’s doing any harm to that student when it really is.

According to Dosomething.org, “3.2 million students are victims of bullying each year.” Also according to Dosomething.org, “Approximately 160,000 students skip school each day because of bullying and 1 in 4 teachers see nothing wrong with bullying and will only intervene 4% of the time.” They have also said, “Physical bullying increases in elementary school, peaks in middle school and declines in high school. Verbal abuse, on the other hand, remains constant.” Finally they have said that “1 in 10 students drop out of school because of repeated bullying.”

I think the president should start focusing more on how to stop bullying. I also think you should have a national live stream where you talk about bullying and different ways to prevent it. Find different ways for students to feel safer in their school environments and find different ways to make bullying a lot harder to do on social media because that’s where it all starts usually.

Overall, I hope that what I have brought up will not be overlooked. Making the move on bullying will help students around the world have a safer and more welcoming learning environment. Thanks for your time.

Brooke Bosworth, 10th Grade

West Saint Paul, Minnesota 

Henry Sibley High School

Imm

Ms. Imm's American Lit classes