Jesse W. Maryland

Dear Future President

Gun Control and the right of the people to overthrow government

I believe that the future of the United States is in your hands, including our Bill of Rights, which includes the Second Amendment of the United States Constitution. But the main right we have is the right to overthrow a tyrannical government as stated in our DEclaration of Independence. Our past president said he was in favor of an assault weapons ban, and slowly but surely is trying to stop Americans from overthrowing a future American government that becomes too powerful.

The U.S. Declaration of Independence states that "when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government." Our forefathers  created this to get free from England. The Second Amendment of the United States Constitution reads: "A well-regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a Free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." Now people argue that militia means military. Well, yes, it does, but do you know about the military at the time of the revolutionary war? It has been said it was a nation's top civilian response for directing military affairs. What if we have to do that again? Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto during World War II said, "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." To me he is not talking about the military. To prove this fact, according to Fox news, “Over the last several months, Wisconsin's hunters became the eighth largest army in the world: more men in arms than in Iran. More than France and Germany combined. These men and women deployed to the woods of a single American state” Also,“There were 13.7 million hunters in the United States over age 16 -- 12.7 million of whom used rifles, shotguns or handguns for hunting, according to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.” There are more sportsmen in the United States than there are an Army in China which has the biggest army in the world. So, if we are ever invaded the sportsmen of the USA will do what Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto stated during WWII. But if we are getting our Second Amendment rights taken away, then Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto, if he was still here today, would surely invade the mainland United States.

Your friend

Jesse W.