martha Pennsylvania

What you need to do to be a good president.

Addressing the issues of racism, jobs, and taxes.

If you are going to be a real president of the United States you have to lower taxes, stop racial profiling, and secure more jobs for people, in my opinion, that is just a few things you need to do. You can talk about fixing America but how can you as an individual fix all that. What are you going to do to make me feel safe as an African-American living in America? Are you going to make sure I won’t get killed by a police officer because he doesn’t like my skin color, or that I'll be able to get a job after I graduate college? Or even worry about all my money being taken away because I have to pay taxes while there are some people not even paying their rightful share. I want to grow up and feel safe and be secured financially, so what are you going to do to make that happen?

Some people believe that racism is not a problem. I feel like those individuals who think racism is not a problem are mostly white people. They are not hurting white people; you have not seen many news reports about the police killing white kids as people of color are. I said before that everybody is not going to like everybody, and that is okay, but you don't have to be rude to people. You never should think you are better than anybody else because they are of different skin color. This is the 21 century I think racism should be over and done. You never have a right to judge someone because they are darker than you. Even though everybody is a different color, it doesn't change that everybody is equal, no one is better than the other.

Growing up in America, as an African American person and hearing about all the killings created by white people is crazy! I grew up around white people, and I have been around racist people in my life, but growing up I look back, and I understand that some people just can't like everybody. I am okay with that, but to go and kill people just because you think they are not worthy of living is a disgrace. Who are you as a person to say you are better than someone else, let alone take their life. Like the shooting in Charleston. Those individuals who died that day welcomed Dylann Roof into their congregation and didn't judge him for his skin color, but he didn't bat an eye to any of that. He came to that church that day "to shoot some black people" in his words exactly. What if this happens again in America? What are you as president, also as a person who the American people elected because you said you could change racial attacks while running. I want to know if I have to worry about losing my life or someone close to me losing their life because a white person decided they wanted to "shoot some black people" again?

It is unfair that people have people struggling to make it by and still have to pay taxes, but then some individuals don't have to pay the government and don't get in trouble.I started working close to the end of my sophomore year, and the summer of my junior year. I would get a letter in the mail showing how much tax was being taken out of my check. I never really understood why they were taking all these taxes out of things I don't even need! I think one was health insurance, and I was confused because I thought my parents covered me, so why do they have to take my money? So when I heard about Trump not having to pay his taxes for the past 18 years, I was highly confused. I am a teenager trying to get a few extra bucks while I am getting tax taken out of my small paycheck every two weeks, but a person like a Trump doesn't have to pay. As the future president would you let someone get away with something like that because they are rich? My boss took my coworkers and I to a conference, and we watched a video about a girl in her early twenties with two kids. She can barely pay her rent and take care of her children. She has to pay taxes even though she is struggling, how come she still has to pay taxes while rich people like Trump can live the good life and not worry about paying taxes.

When I get out of college, I want to be a lawyer. So I hope that I can get a job when I get out of college. You talked about getting more jobs for the American people. In my opinion, some people actually want to get a job and try hard to, but there are also people who just want to live off the American people. When you say you are going to do jobs for people, did you mean a just particular type of works or employment in every profession? People go to college to study about things they are passionate about, so when people come out of college and can't pursue their dream job some of them ends up living off the system. That is why I don't think you should just set yourself on just a few professions instead of all, even the ones that people think are not important.

If you want to become president, you have to take into initiative all the factors of being the president. In debates, you talk about how you can fix the problems going on in America, but can you fulfill what you say you would do? I want a president that would take my concerns into consideration and fix what is wrong with our country.

Martha Bangura

Science Leadership Academy at Beeber

Science Leadership Academy @ Beeber - E band

Students from Ms. Burrows-Stone's English 3 class at SLA Beeber write persuasively about issues that matter to them in the 2016 election.