Cassidy C. Pennsylvania

Animal Testing

We should make animal testing illegal in the United States because it is wrong and cruel.

I've heard you have pets and since you do, how would you feel if you saw your pet being burned, forced to drink or eat something, knocked out, and having liquids injected into them against their will in animal testing? What makes it ok for other animals to be tested on? I have pets and and I would hate to see this! My pets are a very prominent part of my family, and I would do anything for them. We should make animal testing illegal in the U. S. because it is wrong and cruel. The U. S. is also one of only a couple of countries that openly permits animal testing. This shows that many other countries understand how awful it is.

Furthermore, the U. S. spends a yearly average of $16 billion dollars on animal testing. In addition to this, statistics show that most of these tests that work on animals fail on humans. This means that the U. S. is wasting $16 billion dollars yearly! Many of these tests fail because people assume that because animals and humans share similar organisms and nervous systems that if they test cosmetics and medical research on animals, humans will have the same results that the animals did. But they won't the majority of the time because of complex biological differences. This shows that animal testing is a waste of money; so why would we want it in the U. S.?

Aside from that, animals have a nervous system. A nervous system is a network if nerves in the body that if injured, burned, or anything that affects a nerve, it sends a message to the brain about it. Therefore, since every animal has a nervous system, they feel everything that is being done to them. For instance if someone is working on an animal in an animal test for a cosmetics company, and they have to spray a perfume and the perfume containing chemicals that could possibly irritate or burn the animal's skin. They spray it and it burns the animal's back the nerves there will send a message to the brain saying its in pain. If a human was burned they would know to get help or put ice on it but that animal is most likely held down and has to endure more tests with various levels of pain. Why should we continue to allow animals to be tested on against their will with no way of defense?

As you can see, animal testing is wicked, ruthless, and brutal but there are solutions to this gruesome act. Such as, using computer power and computational biology which is, the science of using biological data to research relations of biological systems, to research and develop possible outcomes of cosmetics or medications on humans through computers and not animals. These advancements lead to new tools that can be used to process how chemicals, drugs, and cosmetics could have effects on the human body. With all of today's technology we can easily stop testing on animals and start developing outcomes on computers

For the reasons above, we should make animal testing illegal. How can we justify getting cosmetics and medical results in an exchange for an animal's life when there are better, much less malicious ways to get answers and results? These are all reasons why animal testing should become illegal. Most of all though because animal cruelty is illegal, and this is one of the biggest acts of animal cruelty there is, and right now the government is supporting it!

Cassidy C