Karly Coffee Michigan

Gun control is unnecessary.

I cannot count on two hands the number of times I`ve heard the words “guns kill people.” Guns don't kill people. People kill people. We all wish it was as easy as simply taking away guns and making these problems with murder and suicide go away, but sadly that isn't how it works. In 1982 Chicago proved to the United States that a ban on handguns is not the solution. On Justfacts.com, Agresti and Smith state, “In 2005, 96% of the firearm murder victims were killed with handguns.” After 28 years, Chicago finally overturned this law.

There are other ways for murder and suicide to occur in the United States. Guns are not the only weapon that exists and are capable of these results. A second example of a failed ban to prevent murder is Washington D.C. in 1976. Under this law, no one other than a police officer could carry a gun. Agresti and Smith inform that, “During the years in which the D.C. handgun ban was in effect, the Washington D.C. murder rate averaged 73% higher than it was at the outset of the law.” Clearly, banning handguns in this situation didn`t reduce the number of murder crimes committed. It's the same concept with suicide. Some argue that banning guns would lower the amounts of suicides recorded, however this too is incorrect because there are other ways to commit suicide. If one has the mindset to murder or kill themselves, they`re going to do it whether guns are allowed or not.

Aside from this, not allowing guns or making them harder to get would take away others` protection. The people who are content with breaking the law will obtain guns whether they are illegal or not while the law abiding citizens will be left with nothing. We do not want the moral driven people of this country to have to turn to crime in order to get safety. A study conducted during the year 2000 showed that U.S. citizens use guns to defend themselves roughly 989,983 times a year. The more gun laws there are, the happier criminals will be because they'll know victims will have less of a chance of defending themselves. This may lead to an increase in crime because there will be less worry of anything happening to them. There should not have to be consequences for following the law. The government cannot take away the country's Second Amendment rights. As stated in the Second Amendment of the Constitution, “...the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.” Consequently, guns can't be denied to any particular law abiding United States citizen.

I understand others` arguments revolving around whether it should be legalized or not, but the idea that we may not be able to defend ourselves in a necessary situation would be terrifying. Legalizing gun control will only further our country's issues.  

Allen Park High School

APHS Advanced Placement Language and Composition

Allen Park High School is located in Southeastern Michigan. AP Lang studies rhetoric. Additionally, students produce text to narrate, persuade, and inform.