Natalie L.

I am praying for the future of America

There are many topics that I would like to discuss and I believe you should take these notes into account when making decisions about the future of our beautiful nation. I would like to first discuss gun control because I believe that taking the guns away from the violence will not end this brutality. Guns are not the only weapon that are being used for violence so if you only take away the guns, the predator will only turn to use a different violent weapon. Also, guns are not committing the violent act, the people controlling the gun is. Since the gun is not committing the act but the people are, why would you take away the guns and not the people? You should be arresting the predators who are controlling the gun because it will reduce the number of violent crimes committed. The 2nd Amendment states, "... the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed." When our founding fathers wrote this amendment, they specifically said that this right should not and will not be taken away from the people. The Constitution has worked greatly for 229 years, so why change it now? 

Another topic that I would like to discuss is abortion. I am Catholic and my relationship with God is unbreakable so I strongly believe that abortion is wrong and unjust, but I also defend my opinion with facts.  Every state has different laws about abortion, while all of the states have the same law about criminal homicide, or murder. The law states that murder is "the killing of another human being under conditions specifically covered in the law." So my question is, if killing people is wrong and unjust then why is killing an unborn child okay?  Since abortion was legalized in 1973, over 56 million unborn children have been killed which is more than the entire population of a country. That's 155 babies per hour and about 1 in every 24 seconds. I understand that in many cases, circumstances that surround the pregnancy can be tragic, but one tragedy cannot be answered with another. A pregnant woman may be thinking that if she has the child, she will have to live with effects that come with the birth but if they choose to have an abortion they will have to live with guilt of knowing that they killed an innocent child. Having an abortion does not only harm the child but can also harm the mother. Harm can come in forms such as mental, physical, relational, and emotional but in some cases the mother has also died along with the child. Future president, did you know that abortions violate civil rights? Every person has civil rights and those rights are violated when people are deprived of their basic rights. Unborn children are deprived of life, which is the most basic right of all.

My final topic I would like to discuss is health care. In the past four years, there has been significant changes to the American health care system. This new health care system was created to guarantee that all Americans would have health insurance. The majority of Americans dislike this new health care system and the court did not even uphold it. I find that there are many things wrong with the current health care system such as government control over doctor decisions, higher health care cost, and the increase of the price to see a specialty doctor. Now insurance companies have and feel the need to overrule the doctor's decision on what the patient should do. I find that insure companies are mostly doing this for profit. With this new health care system prices have quadrupled to see most doctors, prices of medicines have doubled, and the amount of taxes the average American families have payed has increased to support a health care system that is failing to many Americans. Also, the increase to see specialty doctors has sky rocketed. Most people that need to see a specialty doctor have serious problems and cannot afford these continuing increases of the things they need to live. While I do appreciate the idea behind creating this new health care, I believe that the government's plan has back fired.  

These are just a few of the many issues that have been brought up by Americans and I hope I have represented my fellow citizens well. Future president, when you come into office this November please remember what I have discussed in this letter and please remember what is best for your citizens. I wish you the best of luck and God bless you!

- Natalie L.