Amber Alaska

No Child Abuse

Child abuse should be put to an end same with corporal punishment.

Dear POTUS,

You should put up notices, get the people of the world/United States, and try stop corporal punishment. It is a punishment that inflicts pain, it is a way lots of parents choose how to teach their children right from wrong. But in reality it doesn’t help children, it may cause emotional effects, most likely teach them that inflicting pain to others is right if it is by an authority figure, and corporal punishment can and does often turn into child abuse. I’m sure we all have seen the effects of child abuse and corporal punishment in some of the children and people around us, it effects their whole lives, and we as a nation need to put child abuse to an end.

Most children who were abused or punished only listened until the authority figure was out of sight, and the punishing also creates anger and resentment. Corporal punishment doesn’t help with them emotionally either it can lower self-esteem and create feelings of helplessness and anxiety. Depressive systems can develop in adults who were hit but a few times as a child. Furthermore, studies have shown that when someone gets adrenaline outputs out of anger and physical punishment, the endocrine, (denoting glands that secrete hormones directly into the blood), balance does not go back to normal, and the person or child becomes prone to anger and outbursts of violence easily. A persons emotions gets changed just by corporal punishment, which can create rude mean people and we do not want that.

Corporal punishment and child abuse can change the way they grow up and effect their whole lives. Its trues that basically all serial killers were abused when they were young, so we should stop abuse to save other lives along with the children’s. We also should put up notifications that people can and should go to anger management therapy to help with these outbursts of violence.

It is easy for adults to spank children out of anger, and with them doing that it models the impulsive violence and not really any self-control to children. Because the children were taught corporal punishment and/or was abused the anger and revenge built up in them may take the form of bullying and hitting others, also the children later in their lives are more likely to hit and abuse their spouses and kids. “According to Gershoff, abusive parents report that more than two-thirds of abusive incidents begin with corporal punishment. She suggests that “…Spanking may work on an abuser like the first drink on a confirmed alcoholic.” Since people can turn horribly and that punishment teaches them bad actions, we need to stop abuse instead of letting it happen, because we’re letting it happen it’s also our fault.

There are successful ways to discipline your child without having to physically harm them. Parents can go to anger management to help with their problems and then they can teach it to their children when they need it. Doing these things will be much better then ruining someone’s life, their child’s emotions and starting them off in the wrong direction in life, we need to help others know that there are other ways to go through things, that it can be done better.

Amber

Stokely, Anne. "The Negative Impact of Corporal Punishment. ." ALASKA LIBRARY NETWORK web.b.ebscohost.com/pov/detail/detail?sid=823f691a-f232-4144-b859-a4ef598c2bf6%40sessionmgr106&vid=0&hid=101&bdata=JnNpdGU9cG92LWxpdmU%3d#db=pwh&AN=12437657 Accessed 1 Nov. 2016.

Dillingham Middle/High School

American Studies

10th-12th graders learning why America is the way it is.