Ian S. Alaska

Global Warming

There are many effects that global warming can have on the earth.

We need to take action on Global Warming because current trends can lead to catastrophic outcomes and can affect every living creature on Earth. There are many effects that global warming can have on the earth.

One of the effects that global warming can cause more wildfires. Wildfires can be caused by lightning strikes or human error. “Higher spring and summer temperatures and earlier spring snow-melt typically cause soils to be drier for longer, increasing the likelihood of drought and a longer wildfire season, particularly in the western United States.” - (http://www.ucsusa.org). I Live in Alaska where the humidity is very moist, and wild fires wouldn’t affect Alaska as much as a southern state. With the climate being higher, the leafs on trees or any other plant are more dry, and can make fire spread more easily.

Another effect of global warming is climate. Global warming affects the world by temperature rising. Temperature rise is caused by the greenhouse effect, which is “the trapping of the sun's warmth in a planet's lower atmosphere due to the greater transparency of the atmosphere to visible radiation from the sun than to infrared radiation emitted from the planet's surface.”- (Google’s definition). The main sources of the greenhouse effect are carbon dioxide, ozone, methane, and water vapor. In Alaska, these past few years we have not received much snow. We haven’t received much snow because of global warming and el niño. Alaska has received a great deal of moisture, clouds will form and because of the temperature the water vapor cannot freeze, and therefore it cannot snow.

A effect of Global Warming is dirtier air. “Rising temperatures also worsen air pollution by increasing ground level ozone, which is created when pollution from cars, factories, and other sources react to sunlight and heat. Ground-level ozone is the main component of smog, and the hotter things get, the more of it we have.” (https://www.nrdc.org). The greenhouse effect doesn’t just trap in heat, it traps in gases as well. Gases such as water vapor, carbon dioxide, methane, and nitrous oxide. If we breathe in carbon dioxide the carbon combines with our blood cells so our cells will not get any oxygen.

If we do not take action on Global Warming it can cause great effects on the United States and the world. I hope that you will consider looking further into Global Warming and put an end to it.

Ian S.