Jordan F. California

Police Brutality

From 2015 to 2016, hundreds of African Americans have been shot and killed by police officers. Approximately 25% of those victims were unarmed.

Police brutality is an issue in the United States. Recently, police brutality has become an even bigger issue because of the numerous occurrences that fill the airwaves and the feeling by African Americans that many of these beatings/shootings are unjustified. This issue needs to be addressed by our judicial system immediately.

From 2015 to 2016, hundreds of African Americans have been shot and killed by police officers. Approximately 25% of those victims were unarmed. In 2015, black men accounted for 40% of unarmed males killed by officers while making up only 6% of the population. In addition, black men are often killed while displaying less threatening behavior than whites. Feelings of mistreatment are heightened even more when officers are given little or no punishment for these shootings.

In 2014, a study was conducted which states that six out of 10 black males feel as if they have been treated unfairly by police officers. This is a significant concern because black males are about nine times more likely to be a victim of police brutality. In addition, this causes the black community to feel singled out. As a black male, I too share these concerns and fears that I may be a target of police. I have to be conscious of how I move around in society so as not to bring unwanted attention by police.

Families should not have to live in fear of being targeted by police. The color of one's skin should not increase the likelihood of being killed by officers, especially when unarmed and complying. It is my hope that training of officers addresses biases and that justice for all is truly implemented.

Jordan 

Newbury Park High School

English 11IB period 2B

High school English IB course