Racial inequality in the land of the free Louisiana

Racial inequality in the land of the free

Many innocent people have been affected by their skin color and there needs to be a change.

Dear Mr./Mrs. President,

“Racial prejudice, anti-Semitism, or hatred of anyone with different beliefs has no place in the human mind or heart.” Billy Graham, an evangelist who rose to celebrity status in 1949, spoke these words. This problem is an issue because racial injustice has brought great controversy between the people of America. Many innocent people have been hurt, bullied, or died because of their skin color. As our next president, I feel that it is important to work on the bonding of American citizens and bring the freedom back to the land of the free.

To begin, racial inequality is a very important topic and has not been handled. For example, many innocent people have died because of controversy between races. These deaths include many cops and some random people, who are mostly innocent, good people. As Jason Hanna and Steve Visser from CNN have shared, “The 38 shootings from January 1 to August 26 represent a 58% increase over the number (24) for the same period in 2015, the fund said.” This is important because these are innocent people being killed because they have different skin colors. Likewise, racial equality/inequality is important because it brings protests. Protesting can be sometimes peaceful, but even peaceful protests can be a bad idea; then, there is a lot of hate floating around, and this may tear friendships and relationships apart. Some people may disagree and be mean and ugly about the situation. “ As long as this "dialogue" spins around in a cul-de-sac of accepted wisdom, recycled bromides and, worse.” as Gene Seymour says. An example is “‘Black Lives Matter’ unveiled by students at UTEP homecoming game just prior to national anthem”. This example, along with many more, can be found on https://elephrame.com/textbook/BLM. When talking with people, a big topic is race, which can bring protest and lose the bond between people. In addition, people over-exaggerate race and have different perspectives of situations called “racial”. For example, someone may not think what they are saying is racist, but the person being spoken to feels differently about the situation. Some people may make a bigger deal about a situation than the real truth. As Gene Seymour says, there can be a “brutal twist” to the stories people tell, which can be only half of the whole truth. The original story changes into a more exaggerated version. “it is a tale of deception.” as explained by Steven Johansen. These racial problems should be a big priority because they need to be fixed.

Once again, Mr./Mrs. President, racial inequality is a big problem that needs to be solved. I may be too young to vote, but I am not too young to be aware of the problems around me. Unless we fix these problems, I am scared that they will continue to get worse.

Ashley S.

Patrick F. Taylor Science & Technology Academy

Gifted English Grades 6&7

Gifted English writers of Patrick F. Taylor Academy.