Mykhael W. Louisiana

All People Are Equal

The next president should help unite everyone as a whole.

Dear Mr/Mrs. President,

“I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but the content of their character.” Martin Luther King, Jr. ,civil right activist, spoke these words in his “I Have a Dream” speech. His famous words are true, but not fully realized. Recently, there have been cases where innocent blacks have been shot to death. Back in 2012, a young black male,Trayvon Martin was shot to death for no reason. Now in 2016, after the police shooting, people have been protesting #BlackLivesMatter. As you move in, I think you should try to unite all races together when you have the time.

To begin, it is important that you take the time to help people see that everyone is equal. In 2012, Trayvon Martin, a young black male was shot to death while walking from a gas station while he was on the phone with a friend. George Zimmerman shot Trayvon because he thought Trayvon was a threat. Zimmerman saw Martin with a pack of skittles in his hand and thought it was a gun.According to CNN Library, Zimmerman called the police and stated, “I saw him as a threat” Zimmerman was instructed to stay in the car. Moments later, shots were heard. This is important because Zimmerman was stereotyping Martin. The police were on the way but Zimmerman took matters into his own hands. This was a simple event that could have been avoided if Zimmerman had listened to what has told. Likewise, it is also important that you help people realize you can’t judge he was judged because of what he looked like. On a Delta flight, a lady’s husband went unresponsive. The flight attendant asked over the intercom if there was a doctor. Tamika Cross, a young female black doctor, said she was a doctor. The flight attendant told her,“This is not a joke; this is a serious matter.” When a white male doctor volunteered, the flight attendant quickly grabbed the man and told him to help as fast as he can. This is discrimination because they would not allow Tamika to help because she was an African American female. Finally, the civil right movement, Jackie Robinson tried out for a all white baseball team. Jackie had trouble becoming a player because of his skin color. I think that just because of your skin you can be excluded from any sport or event,

As I said before, you should help people see that everyone is equal and the same. You should also help people realize, shouldn’t judge people by their skin tone but by their character. “Racial prejudice, anti-Semitism, or hatred of anyone with different beliefs has no place in the human mind or heart,” Billy Graham once said.

Mykhael Wilson

Patrick F. Taylor Science & Technology Academy

Gifted English Grades 6&7

Gifted English writers of Patrick F. Taylor Academy.