Trevor B. Louisiana

Racial Inequality In Our Country

Racial inequality is a huge issue today that prevents the country from moving forward.

Barack Obama, the 44th president of the United States, once said “Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we’ve been waiting for. We are the change we seek.” This got me thinking about the topic of racial inequality in our country today. Indeed, we can not wait for others to solve our issues in another lifetime. We have to get to the task at hand, and the task currently is racial inequality. Too many African-Americans: drop out of school, end up not receiving good jobs, or turn to selling drugs and robbing others so that they can support their families. Addressing this issue will not only help African-Americans, but it will also help crime rates and drug rates decrease. So as our new president, I would like you to tackle the issue of racial inequality and how our systems may not be fair nor affordable to everyone, especially African-Americans.

To begin, it is important that we solve the racial issue in America because many lose their lives every day due to gun-violence and racial opinions. Most of these killings happen at the hands of law enforcement. The officers kill innocent people, who happen to mainly be African-Americans, even if they have their hands up and cooperate fully. In retaliation many innocent officers lose their lives. According to CNN news, 38 officers lost their lives this year. 194 African-Americans lost their lives, and police officers were responsible for these deaths. These numbers are both very high, and need to be diminished. Likewise, racial inequality needs to be addressed because many African-Americans receive very poor education. Many drop out of school. Also, because of school fees and loan debts, many black people drop out of school or start college but never finish. According to the NCES (National Center for Education Statistics), only 54% of the African-Americans in our country get a complete education. 92% of caucasian people get a full education. The difference between these two numbers is almost 40%.Therefore, it is pretty apparent that black people do not get as much an opportunity to go to school. This can lead to less opportunity for black people to become successful in life, which ties into my third and final topic; opportunity. Not that many African-Americans become successful. And those who do get jobs are usually not paid very well, which is completely unfair. According to US.gov, only 51% of African-Americans today are employed. This is very shocking. About half of the black people today are. Only half. What about the other half, what are they doing. They have families, too. They should be able to have jobs too, just like everyone else.

To reiterate what I stated earlier in this letter, as President of the United States of America, you must do everything in your power to help end racial inequality. It is imperative that you set the example for the next generation. As the late great Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. once said, “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.” Based upon the statistics I’ve provided, racial equality is a real issue in today’s society and it needs to be addressed. Thank you.

Trevor B.

Patrick F. Taylor Science & Technology Academy

Gifted English Grades 6&7

Gifted English writers of Patrick F. Taylor Academy.