rohamasood Massachusetts

Hate crime.

The average number of incidents reported per year was 7,573 with an average of 9455 victims per year.

My name is Roha Masood, I am a high school student and I am very honored to write my opinion on hate crimes to you today as it is a subject that has given me great discomfort and I am very determined to make sure that the people of different races, religions, ethnicity ,disabilities and sexual orientation have every human right and our protected against the multitude hate groups that surround them in every day life.

This subject is very important to me as I am accompanied by people who have been victims of hate crimes and have not been given complete justice and left them with different problems both mentally and physically. This is the case with many thousands of people who are in worse conditions as statistics show in the most recent report that the average number of incidents reported per year in the United States is 7,573 with an average 9,455 victims per year.

Hate crimes today have increased immensely and are mainly motivated by race accounting for 48.5% of all reports which makes me fear for myself, my family, my peers and all people of color as it could be dangerous for us to step out of our very homes. I do not only speak for the people of color but for all those who are criminalized by those who consider as having beliefs or practices that attack or malign an entire class of people, typically for their immutable characteristics.

This is a very important subject for you to focus on as it risks the lives of millions as we speak. A continuous increase in hate crime could possibly result in an unstable economy with increased crime and tension and a decrease is tourism. People need to feel safe in this country and the equality and safety of everyone is what brings the US together with peace and harmony and any sort of conflicts due to unchangeable statuses such a race, religion, disability and sexual orientation should not be the reason people fear for their lives and leave their homes for a better one. The need for provision is real.

Thank you so much for your time.