Olivia O. Massachusetts

Environmental Issues

The depletion of the ozone layer, air pollution, and e-waste are huge problems for the next president.

Dear next president,

There are some serious environmental issues across the world that I feel should be dealt with. Considering the fact that “The most dramatic evidence of the destruction of the ozone layer has occurred over Antarctica” which is stated in the article “Ozone layer depletion” by Environmental Encyclopedia and the fact that “air pollution has become an international problem,” as stated in the article “Air pollution” by Environmental Encyclopedia. If we continue with our polluting ways we may not have a earth to live on at all. You need to help stop the environmental issues.

The depletion of the ozone layer is not only dangerous for organisms on land but for aquatic life too. “Because UV-B can penetrate the ocean's surface, it is potentially harmful to marine life forms and, indeed, to the entire chain of life in the seas as well,” stated in the article “Ozone layer depletion” by Environmental Encyclopedia. The major cause of the depletion of the ozone layer is mostly air pollution as admitted in the article “Air pollution” by Environmental Encyclopedia, “carbon tetrachloride (CCl4) and aerosol propellants such as chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) are detectable all over the globe and are responsible for such problems as ozone layer depletion.”

Air pollution is a serious problem in Beijing, China and around the world. It is believed “Urban air pollutants have a wide range of effects, with health problems being the most enduring concern,” stated in the article “Air pollution” by Environmental Encyclopedia. A lot of people should be aware of the air pollution situation (especially if they live in urban areas) so that they can help stop air pollution, for their health and the health of others. It also does not help that workers often burn away the unwanted materials in E-waste (electronic waste) which releases smoke into the atmosphere, and burning the E-waste “can lead to the release of toxic gas” into the atmosphere, as stated in the article “E-Waste” by Opposing Viewpoints Online Collection.

E-waste may be one of the hardest kinds of waste to get rid of, “E-Waste has many of the same problems as any other kind of waste, but it also poses unique dangers to the environment and to the safety of those handling it,” stated in the article “E-Waste” by Opposing Viewpoints Online Collection. That fact is true, E-waste piles up over time like any other waste but because E-waste is not made up from any one source, it is much harder to get rid of. A lot of people really do not know that E-waste is a problem in the world or do not notice it, and it does not help it also contributes to air pollution or climate change. Luckly, “Pope Francis embraces the climate change agenda,” as stated in the article “Pope Francis Is Wrong to Combat Climate Change” by Smoking.

A lot of people (mostly catholics) believe that earth is a gift from God, that climate change does not exist and that God is punishing us for some reason. “The Catholic view [is] that the planet exists to sustain us, not the other way around,” admitted in the article “Pope Francis Is Wrong to Combat Climate Change” by Smoking. Plus what may not help to change their mind is the fact scientists are the “biggest enemies of the church and of Catholic moral principles” stated in the article “Pope Francis Is Wrong to Combat Climate Change” by Smoking.

Even though that was only a fraction of the information it should be enough to inspire you to help do something. The environment may seem fine but in reality it is not. You need to help stop air pollution, prevent E-waste, and slow down the depletion of the ozone layer. If we really want to advance in the universe then we need to rely on our environment to help us, but we can not if it is dead. So I want to call you to action to help protect the environment, so we can stand next to it instead of against it. It is living too.

Sincerely, Olivia O.

Glenbrook Middle School

Grade 7 English Language Arts

The seventh grade students have researched, discussed, and thought carefully about a variety of issues that challenge our nation and the next president. Here are their thoughts about what the next president must do to improve our country and all of our lives.