Jeremiah C. Iowa

The Silent Holocaust that Killed My Friend

Susan was her name, and it wasn't what you think. She died on the inside. Abortion is a very heavy matter for people who get it, and if they don't figure out they are the victim and that they are wanted, they will die on the inside. Some will commit suicide. Abortion not only kills the baby, it kills the mother as well.

Dear Mr./Mrs. President,

Every year, 3 million people die in the United States, and about 700,000 are unborn babies. These unborn babies did nothing wrong to deserve death. Whether they are chopped up into pieces or drowned in potent saline solution, they need our help. Why not help them? Women’s rights are something that the world has struggled with for ages, and one thing that people are advocating around the world for is abortion. According to The British Pregnancy Advisory Service, abortion is a procedure that stops a fetus's heart.

Abortion should not be legal because life begins at creation. What is creation? Some people say conception. WebMD states that when an egg and sperm comes together, they create a new person. The medical term for this new person is a fetus. According to Merriam-Webster's Dictionary, a fetus is “a human being in the later stages of development before being born.” Read that again; it says a human being. So why do people contradict the dictionary? According to the Free Republic, one has to have a heartbeat, have senses, and have brain waves. These traits develop over many weeks within conception. Women usually find out they are pregnant from the fourth to the seventh week of pregnancy, and by then a developing infant would have human-like characteristics and movements (Ex. Beating heart). So why would you destroy it? The life of a fetus should be considered human and treated as such.

Abortion should not be legal because the 14th amendment and other laws safeguard the unborn. The 14th amendment states, “No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.” Some may declare they don’t think the unborn is human, but one has to look at the time period during which they (the writers of this law) wrote this law. When this amendment was ratified, they were passing a law forbidding abortions. So, of course, the 14th amendment protects the unborn because it was at the same time they made the 14th amendment that they had outlawed abortions. There is a very unusual law that protects the unborn and it is called The Unborn Victims of Violence Acts. According to 18 U.S. code §1841 section a 1, “Whoever engages in conduct that violates any of the provisions of law listed in subsection (b) and thereby causes the death of, or bodily injury to, a child, who is in utero at the time the conduct takes place, is guilty of a separate offense under this section.” Also according to that code in section c 1, “Nothing in this section shall be construed to permit the prosecution—of any person for conduct relating to an abortion for which the consent of the pregnant woman, or a person authorized by law to act on her behalf, has been obtained or for which such consent is implied by law”. What this is basically saying is that an unborn child has rights if the mother wishes it to have rights. People follow blindly believing that the law is good, but in fact, there are laws like this that protect unborn children only if their mother wants them to be.

Abortion should not be legal because thousands of people want to adopt. According to Kristi Burton Brown, “There are up to 36 couples waiting for everyone baby placed for adoption”. That would be about 3 million people just in the United States, but a lot of them can’t get a child. Outlawing abortions would also open up for more adoption opportunities. Many determinants are involved in this reason, but one of the biggest is that it seems everyone in the adoption offices is ungainly. For instance, if a couple wants to adopt they have to have enough money, enough space in their house, and enough patience. According to The Baby Center, the process takes an extremely long time. As someone fills out all the papers, the agent usually keeps sending them documents to sign, or they might have lost something and they need to redo something. It happens a lot. It also costs a lot of money. Adoption Help states that it can be anywhere from $0 to $25,000. Yet abortions cost up to $1,500 and giving birth costs up to $9,000. The adoption and foster care processes are so flawed, and it needs to be fixed.

Those who support the termination of a baby say that it helps people who don’t want their baby if they (the fetus) have a defect, but yet at the same time they don’t want anyone to say retarded because it might offend someone. Ironic, isn’t it?  On the other hand, they would just rather kill the baby before it is out of the womb. Why would anyone abort someone just because he/she are retarded? According to Life Issues Institute, 67% of Down Syndrome babies are aborted. Also according to a study from Wayne State University, babies that are diagnosed with Spina Bifida are aborted 64% of the time. It's scary that people have morals so low as that. People with disabilities are not to be aborted just because they are handicapped.

In conclusion, abortion should not be legal because life begins at creation, the 14th amendment protects the unborn, and thousands of people would love to adopt a child, handicapped or otherwise. Abortion is an unethical, immoral, and unlawful (under the Constitution) practice that should not happen in any situation. So many people are forced into abortion and regret it later. It shouldn’t happen like that. Just because someone doesn’t want to feel the pain of birthing doesn’t mean they should kill the person in their body. The baby never did anything wrong. Fetuses are something that should be cared for just like any other living thing and abortion shouldn’t be confabulated with the issue of women’s rights. The baby's right to life isn’t the woman’s right to kill.

With this in mind, I urge you to take time and really look at what an abortion really is: to see that that abortion is a killer of humankind. It’s literally a matter of life and death. What if you were aborted? Life begins at conception, and if you can’t understand that, I don’t know how you can clearly determine the future of this country. Please take my point into consideration before you condone thousands of helpless babies to be led to the slaughter.

Sincerely, Jeremiah Clay