Cole H. Michigan

Rising Costs of College Tuition

College tuition should be reduced

As I proceed through my Junior year of highschool, thoughts keep going through my head about where I want to go to college, how much it will cost, and if I will be able to afford it. Over the recent years the price to attend college is getting outrageous. According to Mike Patton college tuition has grown by 5.2% while inflation only increased by 2.3%. Leaving 1.2 trillion dollars of student debt lurking over the heads of students and families trying to pay their dues. As a middle class family it is getting harder and harder for the majority of the country to afford rising tuition. For future generations the value of a education isn't going to outweigh the price. If the parents of students are still struggling to pay off their debt than how are they going to be able to pay for their children's education? To further the fact of rising tuition the value of the dollar isn't increasing at the same rate. With those two factors, in several years if nothing changes, costs to attend a public, or private university is not going to be affordable to many families.

Cole Hetrick

Patton, Mike. "The Cost Of College: Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow." Forbes. Forbes Magazine, 19 Nov. 2015. Web. 27 Oct. 2016.

Okemos High School

Youth Voices

Sharing our ideas with Youth Voices: http://www.youthvoices.live/ and Letters to the Next President 2.0