maggie c. Oregon

common core

Common Core should be replaced.

Since 2009, the school systems have been introduced to Common Core education standards Common Core is a set of high quality academic standards in math and English. Almost every school goes by these standards; in a way, it's forcing kids to “learn” a certain way even if that way isn't working for that student. Different kids learn at different speeds and paces I want you to stop making . Albert Einstein once said, “everyone is a genius but if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live it’s whole life believing it is stupid.” So why make a fish climb a tree knowing it can't?

Growing up, I've always struggled with math. I've always felt “behind,” and now since I'm in highschool and I have a understanding what common core is, I know I'm not behind. I just don't learn like other kids. It breaks my heart knowing what kids all over are going through. No one should ever feel like they are not smart. Let's say we make a deal that we can still have standardized tests, but they are made for that individual student so they'll understand it in their way.

In Finland, schooling is very different. They believe that less testing means more learning. So that means kids aren't constantly stressing about what test is next week or stressing about a test on which they had no clue what they were doing.The article says, “The teacher is able to take more risks and try new things and create exciting, engaging curriculum that allows students to become skilled individuals ready for the real world,’’ saying the teachers are actually putting effort into teaching the kids,. nNot just giving them a piece of paper and expecting them to know it.