Dahlia Oklahoma

Black Lives Matter - Not Just a Movement

I believe that people should not be killed, arrested, or hurt because of the color of their skin.

On your journey of helping America become a better country, I will ask you to bring your attention to the movement of Black Lives Matter. Black Lives Matter was a hashtag created in 2012 because a 17-year-old child was shot and killed by George Zimmerman. Since then it caught up to be a trending hashtag, and then a movement founded by Patrisse Cullors and others. The movement is said by the founders to “Advocate for dignity, justice, and respect.” and “Support black LGBT, black women, and other black minorities because all black lives matter” (Blacklivesmater.com/about/). I believe that people should not be killed, arrested, or hurt because of the color of their skin.

At this point most people say that all lives matter, and they do of course. But right now many innocent black lives are being taken by unjust police. In a neighborhood, if a house is burning, you do not put water on all the houses because all houses matter. The firefighters put it on the house that needs it the most. Technology is a big part of the campaign. Most of these killings were shot on video by either the person who was killed or a bystander of the situation. To avoid getting caught some people post the videos on GroupMe or live on Twitter. People against black lives matter don’t take the videos seriously mainly because it is a technology induced campaign. I believe that it is a good thing these are put on for the world to see. It is our world and we should be able to see what is going on in it. What I think should happen is more news channels or newspapers report on it. People can lie on the internet but on TV people are called out on it.

But how can you help? Since you are a busy person, I’ve decided to keep it simple. Speak publicly on the matter. Many people look to high figures for judgment or advice. I implore you to help America with an unbiased speech with just facts, no opinions. We need America to make up their own mind. I also believe we should rebuild the trust between citizens and cops. Get rid of cops that are hurting American citizens or are being unreliant to do their jobs correctly.

Radicalists are another problem on the matter. People who think the police are the enemy are wrong. Most cops are trying to do their jobs and help stop crime. Only a few that are easily spotted as biased and violent are the problem. Recently a few cops in Dallas lost their lives to someone just as violent as the killers of innocent black lives. By harassing officers while they do their jobs at protests, the trust between citizens and officers becomes thinner. We must, as a country, rebuild the trust between the two groups to make America a better and safer nation. America will become more unbiased in its system. Thank you for listening to what I have to say.

Dahlia S.

Classen School of Advanced Studies

Classen SAS 8th Grade English

Students from Ms. Sutton's 8th grade English classes in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.