Shayan G. Michigan

Heat Exhaustion Is Deadly

Heat Exhaustion is a killer among teens especially in sports related activities inside a gymnasium. We need to invest in all schools to have an air conditioning unit.

How would you feel if you got a frantic call from a school administer saying that your son or daughter is unconscious and unresponsive lying down on the gym floor? As a parent quickly rushing to the scene is instinct and once you’ve arrived you walk into the gym and a heat wave rushes into your body as hell itself is trying to bring you down below the surface. Anger rages into the mind of a parent questioning why is my kid exerting physical activity in such a dangerous environment? Sadly to some parents this type of nightmare has been a reality for them and it’s something they probably will never want to live again.

Even though there are many other matters that a President should be tending to, this specific problem is very dangerous and could possibly cost the lives of young teens in high school. The problem is the heat inside of gymnasium facilities. We need to install air condition units for facilities across the country and at this point it should be mandatory for a school to them. From personal experience being in many gymnasiums throughout Michigan during the summer you feel like a bowl of vegetables being tossed into a pot of boiling water. According to the CDC about 675 people a year die from heat exhaustion and some of those people in that statistic are young teenagers just like me. That is a scary thought to put inside your brain. The only way that this can be stopped is keeping the gymnasium in a cool temperature during the summer that should be a little under our normal body temperature which is at 95 to 97 degrees

Fahrenheit. Through studies doctor's recommended that the best way to avoid heat exhaustion is just to keep that body temperature at normal rates, and the only way to do that is keep the gym at a cool temperature with an air conditioning unit. Along with the air conditioning unit, schools have to be smart about spending. In almost all schools there many projects that the school pays for but a question needs to be asked, and it’s do we really need what is being bought. If the answer is no then in reality that’s just wasted money. A solution to this problem could be for our government to provide more money to the schools. That being said an argument could be made that the schools might waste the money as they’ve done before. Going off that if we pass a law that makes it mandatory for gymnasiums to have an air conditioning unit then more money will not necessarily need to be asked for.

In a perfect world there is no such thing as being sick or dying of any sort of

complications in your body. People like to think like this but wake up, problems won’t be solved by just hoping it fixes itself. With our next president ensuring the needs to the parents with children that go into an inferno that some call a gymnasium that will be a great way to start the support need to eliminate the problem of heat exhaustion and young teens. As Nadezhda Mandelstam said “I decided it is better to scream. Silence is the real crime against humanity.”