Mya R. Virginia

Transgender Equality

I am writing to you on behalf of the transgender individuals in your country. They are being denied their civil rights and it’s up to you to do something about it.

I am writing to you on behalf of the transgender individuals in your country. They are being denied their civil rights and it’s up to you to do something about it. According to 2011 findings from the William Institute, the transgender population represents about 0.3% of American adults. That's a huge part of your society being harassed and discriminated. In 2012, the Human Rights Campaign found that out of 636 companies analyzed, 207 provided healthcare coverage to transgender employees. It's not enough, but considering only 49 corporations delivered these services in 2009, it's a step in the right direction. Disheartening research from the 2011 National Transgender Discrimination Survey reveals that 41% of transgender participants (2,644 out of 6,450) had attempted, at some point, to take their own lives. Sexual assault was the biggest cause, followed by physical assault, harassment in school, and job loss due to bias. A 2014 report from the Williams Institute estimates that there are over 15,000 transgender individuals serving on active duty and there are over 134,300 transgender veterans. According to their data, 32% were assigned male at birth and 5.5% were born female. The District of Columbia has laws in place, too, but for 32 states, transgender individuals can still be fired or denied employment for their identity. According to the American Civil Liberties Union, discrimination is prohibited in California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, Oregon, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Washington. There are still many states to go.

In conclusion, I hope that these facts have informed you and helped you understand why this is becoming an ample issue in today's society

β€œ Statistics taken in the us.”

National Center For Transgender Equality

http://www.transequality.org/

Statistics From William Institute.

Marie Claire, Kenny Thapoung. July 18 2015

http://www.marieclaire.com/culture/g3065/transgender-facts-figures/?scrlybrkr