Andres Virginia

Removing the Fearsome Borders against Latinos in the U.S.

Hypothetical letter to President Hillary Clinton regarding Latino immigration legislation if Clinton were to win the presidential election.

Dear Mrs. Hillary Clinton:

I bring my sincerest congratulations to you for winning this year’s presidential election, Mrs. President. You have made an amazing breakthrough with this accomplishment, and I know that you will do a great job as our future president. While I do show my sincerest regards for you, I would like you to be aware of the current immigration situation in our country and how it affects the Latino community.

As you may know, illegal immigration numbers plague the United States. Over eleven million undocumented immigrants entered the country in 2014 with Mexico taking the blame for 54 percent of this number (Krogstad, Passel, Cohn). Some Americans share the viewpoint that illegal immigration is a threat to the country, but things are not always as they seem. They carry this belief that they pose a threat to the American economy by taking jobs or by tarnishing the name of what it means to be an American. However, some of these Latinos have nowhere to go. Data collected by Pew Research Center states that many Mexican immigrants come to the United States to escape the unfortunate circumstances in their home country. They would like to take part in the opportunities that this country has to offer.

Deportation is the biggest nightmare that torments the Latino community. Mass deportations tear families apart, and I know how important keeping families together is to you. It is disheartening to see many Latinos live in the shadows in order to avoid deportation. For example, a group of Maryland students skipped school in order to avoid the deportation raids that occurred earlier this year (Gross). This is no way for people to live their lives.

President Obama has made significant strides for our community by issuing the DACA legislation for some citizens; however, it is not simply enough. I would like for you to expand on this laws by creating complete immigration reform for Latino immigrants. A simple application process without the hassling wait times of a visa would be the strides we need in our community. I know that border security is a priority. Therefore, legislators can meet national security standards by proposing extensive background checks for immigrants. Furthermore, record keeping for economic and taxing purposes can be a crucial key to ensuring that this is successful (Mannes). I know that complete comprehensive immigration reform was a component of your campaign and I believe that you will achieve the goals of your campaign thoroughly.

I urge you to help all of the Latino families that have to sit in the somber silence in the corners of the United States. I would like you to continue the progress of Obama’s presidency and expand it into something that can keep Latino families together, which is reflective of your “stronger together” campaign. The United States' foundations were based on immigration and the blending of cultures is what makes up the modern American identity.  

Sincerely yours, 

Andres

Photograph taken from the Honolulu Star Advertiser 

Gross, Natalie. "Md. School Officials: Deportation Scare Keeping Latino Students Home."

Education Writers Association. Education Writers Association, 19 Jan. 2016. Web. 21 Oct. 2016.

Krogstad, Jens Manuel, Jeffrey S. Passel, and D’Vera Cohn. "5 Facts about Illegal Immigration

in the U.S." Pew Research Center. Pew Research Center, 20 Sept. 2016. Web. 21 Oct.

2016.

Mannes, A. Benjamin. "Background Checks: The Achilles' Heel of Immigration Reform." The

Hill. Capital Hill Publishing Corp., 16 Sept. 2016. Web. 21 Oct. 2016.

"Most Mexicans See Better Life in U.S. - One-In-Three Would Migrate." Pew Research Center:

Global Attitudes Project RSS. Pew Research Center, 23 Sept. 2009. Web. 21 Oct. 2016.

Tribune News Service. Families Reunite at U.S.-Mexico Border Fence: ‘We Touch Hands, but It Is

like Being in Jail’. Digital image. Honolulu Star Advertiser. Los Angeles Times, 15 Feb. 

Eastern View High School

AP Language & Composition

AP Language & Composition students (11th grade) from Eastern View High School in Culpeper, VA are tasked with researching platforms, crafting political cartoons or pieces of satire, and writing letters and op-eds