Will G. Virginia

To our Future President

A short letter questioning the immigration policies of Donald Trump, assuming he were to become President.

Dear Mr. President;

I am concerned about the immigration policies proposed not only by yourself, but those of your nominal counterparts prior to your election as well.  I understand that not allowing in illegal immigrants can keep our nation safe from potential foreign threats, not only from a social viewpoint, but a political and economic one as well, but the solutions to this problem that have been presented seem unrealistic from my understanding of economics and politics.  If we were to build a wall to keep out illegal immigrants from entering our borders, how would the wall be realistically maintained and built?  Who would man this wall?  How would it be paid for?  What would prevent someone who wishes to enter the country to merely climb over, dig under, or even dig through this wall?  Now, if we are to assume that the border issue is to be resolved this way, would the allowance of immigrants legally into our country be authorized?  The influx of emigrants from foreign nations into our own has been a large part of our history and success as a country, it would seem foolish to prevent immigrants today from gaining access now, assuming that they assimilate into our diverse American culture as they have in the past.  But just allowing illegal immigrants into our borders could potentially bring people who have no desire to assimilate, and become citizens at all.  These are all questions I would love to hear your answers to.

Smithfield High School

SHS AP Lang Blocks 1 & 2

Smithfield High School, AP Language and Composition, 11th grade