LyDrae Oregon

Police Brutality

police brutality and racism needs to end

Dear Future President ,

Police brutality is a pretty big issue right now that needs to be changed. Police brutality is the use of any force exceeding that reasonably necessary to accomplish a lawful police purpose. This needs to change because the people who are supposed to be protecting us are hurting and killing us. Everyday people are losing their family for false accusations made my police.

For example back in October 20, 2012 Laquan Mcdonald was shot and killed by officer Jason Van Dyke, it was a report that Mcdonald was breaking into cars and as soon as Van Dyke got on the scene six seconds after he got out his car he had shot Mcdonald 16 times because he “ refused to put the knife down” seven other officers were on the scene and not one of them fired any other shots. It took 400 days to release the dashcam video to the public,Officer Van Dyke, the only officer who fired his gun that night, has been charged with murder and is awaiting trial. He has pleaded not guilty and said he feared for his life.

There are many other cases that have to do with police brutality , Police are supposed to protect us and handle the wrong doers in the correct manner but instead police feel like because they are police they can do what they want to people without any consequences. Police brutality mainly happens to African american males with no justice for the families and the police getting away with murder because “they felt threatened” or “they weren’t following directions” but when a white person does something wrong they are “mentally ill” and sent to rehab . Black Lives Matter and by saying that doesn’t mean blacks lives are the only lives that matter it's just to highlight them because police and others also make it seem like they don’t matter and are worth nothing.

Police brutality and racial profiling needs to come to an end we say “justice for all” who’s considered all? We might as well say with liberty and justice for whites. Please take this into consideration and help change these issues.

Jefferson HS

Jefferson HS Students

10th,11th, and 12th grade students at Jefferson HS in Portland Oregon.