Kierre E. Michigan

Police Brutality

Police Brutality in America

It is 2016 and the phrase, “justice for all”, is still said with no truth. In America it seems like having black skin is a major crime. People have to be scared walking out of their house because of something they can’t control. Many African Americans fear the police because of police brutality. When in danger, some don’t even call 911. How are we supposed to feel safe when the ones who are supposed to protect us are the ones killing us?

Anyone of all races, ethnicities, ages, and genders can be a victim of Police brutality. As an African American female myself, I always fear for my family's life and mine. According to “Racism and police brutality in America” written by Cassandra Chaney and Ray V. Robertson, it says, “Blacks are more likely to be the victims of police brutality. A growing body of scholarly research related to police brutality has revealed that Blacks are more likely than Whites to make complaints regarding police brutality.” This means that although police brutality can affect any race, mostly blacks are racially profiled.

Police brutality has been going on for years but it’s getting more spotlight because of social media. According to “Police brutality in the United States” written by Leonard Moore, it says, “In 2014 the police shooting of Michael Brown, an unarmed black teenager, in Ferguson, Missouri, triggered protests nationally in the days after his death and again months later after a grand jury decided not to indict the police officer who killed him. In response to Brown’s death, activists launched a powerful social movement, Black Lives Matter.” This means that social media brings more awareness and it’s also a cry for someone of power to do something.

Many things have been done as a way to make people more aware of police brutality. According to “The many meanings of a fist” written by Peniel E. Joseph, it says, “The raised fists now associated with Black Lives Matter have followed a similar panoramic trajectory. Just as black-power activists introduced the term "institutional racism" and linked domestic racial oppression to global structures of capitalism, war, and inequality, Black Lives Matter has emphasized that the criminal-justice system is a gateway to racial, economic, and gender oppression.” This means that back then, raised fists were a form of Black Lives Matter. It also shows how long people have been trying to end police brutality.

I conclude this letter with the notion that YOU have the power to help African Americans get more equality through the criminal justice system.YOU have the power to make sure that justice is given to those affected by police brutality. YOU have the power to get police officers held accountable for misbehavior.

I pray that one day I can walk past a police officer without being scared for my life.

Kierre E.