Kaiya G. Oregon

Save The Children

Safety for all children

Dear Mr or Mrs President,

What would you do if your child suddenly has a black eye or a giant bruise on a part of their body? How would you feel if your child was hurt by someone else? Or are you ok with that? Would you yourself hit your own child? They are children they are your own blood and they are hurt. Or you never knew that your child could be raped, hit or injured in some kind of way. How does that honestly make you feel? A child is abused every 10 seconds in America (according to ChildHelp.org) , a child is hit by someone every ten seconds you could count every day that's thousands of poor innocent children being abused.

Doesn't matter if the child in the eyes of the parent “deserved it” or “needed a lesson”. The parent could be out of their mind or doped up on drugs and before you know it. That child is killed and they don't realize what they have done until it's too late. Not just that but children in the world can be raped, killed, abused or anything else. We need to change that, since when has it been ok to allow this especially on children of the next generation. We just learn to grow up to be even more messed up thanks to the people who affect us. Eighty-Five women in a thousand are raped at least once as a minor, with the average age for a first rape between eight and ten years old. Women are raped a lot more than men but it's still not ok eighty-five in a thousand women at a young age that's still a huge amount there should be no amount. Twenty-one point five percent of rapes occur between birth and age seven, 38.3 % of rapes occur between the ages of seven and twelve years, 40.2 % of rapes occur between the ages of thirteen and seventeen years.

That number should be zero and the word rape should disappear or get smaller over the years but it hasn't we hear is on the radio or tv all the time, do we feel safe? Absolutely not. Women have to carry a weapon so to say around with ourselves because we can't walk down the street without a man being able to keep his pants on. So now as children we have to make them carry a weapon around with them because they can't protect themselves. They are children they shouldn't have to be put through something like that. They are defenseless they can't protect themselves that's the parent's duty but what if they can't, what if they are walking home from school and get grabbed.

If someone puts a hand on a child or hurts them in any way since when is that ok. A change needs to be made. As the next president, you shouldn't just care about the people of America about the children too. Child abuse is so hard to catch because there is no one there at home or wherever to protect that child. Child services if anyone has a child that parent needs to be checked or an evaluation needs to be made. These are children the next generation to fill people's spots to fill the next president so to say to if that child has mental issues you really want them in that position. Child abuse, rape anything can be fatal to a child or can affect them physically and emotionally extremely and affects them in the future why put them through that, Society itself has its flaws not saying we are a perfect world but parts need to be fixed.

Child abuse can include striking, kicking, burning, biting, hair pulling, choking, throwing, shoving, whipping or any other action that injures a child. Biting? Burning? Doesn't sound like something any child should experience how did they deserve that? That's the question most people know the answer to they don't, they don't deserve any of it. We are this generation why do we choose to let this happen and or affect the next generation in some way. That's a small child that we see pictures of and say they are cute on social media but in fact, we don't know what they are experiencing behind that. A child can get hit have a silent scream and no one would ever know, we can try to catch it in advance by seeing a bruise on a child but what can we really do?

We can put laws up to protect children in any way we can also by being able to screen the parents and making sure it is a stable place for the child to stay. A child, no matter how strong the relationship is with the parents, needs a good place to stay. Thousands of children are in foster homes or in the adoption agency because their parents failed as parents since when does any child deserve that? They deserve someone who can love them we need someone to take care of them. So as the next president of united states you need to help them not just from your presidential view but from your parent view if you truly have the love for America or your children you would know you need to help these poor innocent children.

These are children's lives we are talking about there future there well being and you can't tell me that they aren't important. Childhelp reports that ⅔ of the people in treatment for drug abuse were abused as a child. Because of one act that a parent or guardian inflicted pain on one child in the future they could end up doing the same thing.

You can stop this from happening you can protect that child and they can grow up knowing they were protected and treated like someone of value in the world. When if they continued to be abused they could be in serious trouble, they could end up scarred for life, they didn't have the mentality to build a future for themselves because they were so busy making sure they wouldn't get hit or punished that day for nothing. Imagine yourself as a child having to go home knowing you are going to get hit or go to school the next day with a black eye if they even let you go to school. We all know the torture some people can do to children so why not take a stand for them? Why not protect them when they need protection? Why not take a stand before another innocent child gets killed or hit?

In America, many children are dying from abuse each day. Childhelp states that in 2014 one thousand five hundred and eighty children died of abuse. That’s one thousand five hundred and eighty children who have died from the hands of their own parent. We care about the lives of people so let's put a stop to this, help the children whose lives hang by a thread every day. Child abuse leads to low self-esteem, bad behavior in the future, and more likely to cause children to be depressed as an adult. That's the future of the child who gets hurt every day. We need to put a stop to it make new laws protect those who need your help. 70% of children who were killed were children around the age of two. A two-year-old killed by a parent. A sweet innocent two-year-old child who hasn't seen the world hasn't lived or been able to explore or experience a life they were cut short by the parent who couldn't hold their fist to themselves or their anger for no reason.

Children who are abused may experience head trauma, neck trauma, intoxication, drowning, hyperthermia, and murder, this is what a child goes through a two-year-old child being drowned seriously? This is what America has come to this is what all the 43 presidents have allowed over decades president after president allowing children to innocently die that's hundreds of thousands of children dying over the years and people allowing it. Put a stop to that change it be a greater president than the last one. Make a change stand for what is right . Be the person who stopped child abuse completely and put your foot down in the world. This is children important people to someone who are being killed, realize how important this is and help these kids who need your help.

Kaiya Gilbert

Sources:

http://www.pandys.org/articles/childrape.html

https://www.childhelp.org/child-abuse/

https://letters2president.org/letters/1947

https://medlineplus.gov/childabuse.html

http://kidshealth.org/en/parents/rape.html?WT.ac=ctg

Jefferson HS

Jefferson HS Students

10th,11th, and 12th grade students at Jefferson HS in Portland Oregon.