Stephanie N. Oregon

College Tuition

College tuition has always been a constant struggle for our generation. We need to make the price realistically affordable.

Dear Our Future President,

As a child, we were always asked, “What do you want to be when you grow up?”. This fantasy we had as a kid of becoming doctors, lawyers, or even teachers become destroyed as a reality starts to hit us. Our previous generations have high expectations for us, knowing that we will be the ones holding up society, but how can we do this when we can’t even afford the schooling that follows? College tuition has always played a constant struggle for middle and lower class families who wants their children to live a real life and work a proper job. Some families are even torned about only being able to send one child to college. This is the heartbreaking truth about our society, so as our future president, please take the burden off of our backs.

Even if we earn scholarships, the price is still extremely expensive. According to the “CollegeBoard.com,” the article statistics state that the average 4-year public institution tuition is $19,548. This is approximately half of an average low-income families earning. It is outrageous how much we have to pay to have a job that will contribute to society in the future. Let me ask you, Mr/Mrs. President, how are we supposed to be “successful” if we aren’t financially eligible to? This is why we need to consider this as a very serious topic in the White House.

In the article, “Cost Of College Degree In U.S. Has Increased 1,120 Percent In 30 Years,” TheHuffingtonPost.com states that, “Indeed, as tuition costs continue to rise and the national student loan debt hits $1 trillion, some people have been left wondering if college is even worth it anymore.” When students are questioning education, you know this is a big issue. It’s almost as if they are questioning the future and asking is it even worth it? Of course it is! We are always talking about how we want America to be one of the greatest countries but yet our generation doesn’t have the ability to afford it. Does it even makes sense? It's like telling a person to become a first class surgeon but not giving them money for the education, it's completely useless.

The rise of college tuition is going out of hand. In the article, “The Real Reasons a College Degree Costs so Much,” by CNBC.com, statistics show that within 45 years, tuition rose by 28 times! It’s crazy how our previous generations expects us to do well but rise cost by 28 times. You have to remember, we are humans not robots. We don't produce money, we have to work. From what I’ve heard from colleges student that work part-time jobs, it’s miserable. The stress, the time limit, and everything about it, gives students anxiety.

Even though, scholarships are available to some students, it is very limited, meaning only the best of the best can have it. What do the remaining students do? They also worked really hard, but why do we leave them out and make them bare all of the stress. According to the article “College Tuition and the Stress on students,” by the TheSuffolkVoice.com, “Students deal with a mountain of stress during their college years, and many degrees require more than just an undergraduate education these days. The expectation the country has on its students is becoming more and more difficult to achieve.” Not only do these students have to stress out because of the college work (which is quite the handful), but the cost of the tuition adds a load of burden to their backs.

So dear our next president, it is only right for you to consider college tuition as an issue, the price is remarkably high and not everybody can afford. It is us, the unwealthy and unprivileged who are suffering for years, but no seems to care. This doesn’t mean that we have to cut college prices completely (because we all know that, that is unrealistic), reducing the price to a reasonable cost could help us student out a lot. We are the ones the will hold up society, but what if some measly tuition holds us back? What will happen to our future?

Sincerely,  Stephanie Nguyen