Carly B. Massachusetts

Child Abuse

Child abuse is a terrible issue world wide that needs to be addressed.

Dear Sir or Madam,

All over the world, there has been so many reports about child abuse. Thousands of poor children are being abused or neglected for being nothing but innocent kids. More than 400,000 kids are being abused either sexual or physical by their parents, relatives, unmarried parents mate or any other. The next president needs to make sure that more reports are being heard and solved. We all need to stop this tragedy and start shaping up because this needs to be taking care of.

First and Foremost, child abuse needs to be addressed in the United States and I want to help you achieve that goal during your running time as president. In 2014, agencies estimated 1,580 situations where a child dies from neglect or abuse. About 4-5 kids died a day in 2014.Most of the abusers during child abuse is immature adults. In the article “Individuals Can Help Reduce Child Abuse and Neglect” states “parents don’t intentionally hurt their kids and might have been abused themselves when they were little with alcohol or drugs.” Their families could have had a problem within the family giving them emotional violence towards the child. A family could be going through beaten or killed children, drug abuse, sick babies, divorce and/or poverty. In the article, “Child Abuse in the United States is a Serious Problem” it explains “frequently the perpetrator is a young adult in his or her mid-20s without a high school diploma, living at or below the poverty level, depressed, and who may have difficulty coping with stressful situations.” These studies show that parents aren’t mature enough to take care of a child. They might not even know that they are abusing a child but they are because they don't have the responsibility to take care of a child.

Secondly, the children and his/her siblings who are being abused need to be removed from a situation of harm. Kids of any ages shouldn’t be exposed to this kind of behavior, so the children or adults should be removed from the environment. Many children worldwide are not being removed from the situation and things get worse from there. In the U.S there are many programs for children who are being abused but many is not enough. In the article, “Child Abuse in the United states is a Serious Problem” it says, “ the NCANDS reported about 1,400 child fatalities for child abuse. This translates to a rate of 1.98 children per 100,000 children in the general population.” There needs to be more child abuse awareness, foundations, and programs worldwide. It’s a terrible situation that all of these children have horrific childhoods when they shouldn’t. Depending on the factors during the situation, not all abusers and their children are separated completing having long term consequences. According to the article “Victims of Child Abuse Suffer Long-Term Consequences”, “The child's age and developmental status when the abuse or neglect occurred, the type of abuse (physical abuse, neglect, sexual abuse, etc.) and the relationship between the victim and his or her abuser.” If the physical effect on the child was minor such as cuts and bruises then there is not as long of consequences as if the child had broken bones, hemorrhage or even death. An abundance of kids are being saved from child abuse but there are some who we aren't aware of and need our help in life.

Although many of us don’t believe it, there are some people who think a child should stay with their birth parents. Even if their biological parents are hateful, some people think that it’s traditional that all children should be with their original birth parents, but I think otherwise. As said in the article “Victims of Child Abuse Suffer Long-Term Consequences” its states “in reality, however, it is impossible to separate them completely.” This shows that even if the government puts the child in a foundation program and the parent either in jail or a service, you can’t completely separated them. In the passage “Victims of Child Abuse Suffer Long-Term Consequences¨ explains ¨the immediate emotional effects of abuse and neglect—isolation, fear, and an inability to trust—can translate into lifelong consequences.” So depending on the effect that the abuser does to the child, is how long the consequences are in their lifetime. Knowing your biological parents is a gift, but getting beaten and abused by them is not a gift a child wants.

Some people believe that their children need discipline like spanking or grounding, but taking it to the next level isn't okay. Children having discipline is good for them especially so they can learn from their mistakes. But if the adult or parent takes it far enough to raping, locking them into some place, beating children, and so many more horrible disciplines that the children shouldn’t be exposed to. As stated in the article “Tougher Laws Will Help Prevent Child Abuse” “No child should ever have to experience the terror of abduction, or worse.” Many people figure that this is unacceptable but others still think that is is fine which obviously it not true. In the article “The Overwhelming Evidence against spanking” says “I recently spent four days with an old college friend and discovered they are a spanking family. I have really never spent much time with people spanking their children, and it was so distressing to me.” This states both sides of the argument, the friend of the spanking parent feels really upset and the spanking parent thinks its ok. Even though there are two sides to the story there can’t really be a right or wrong. You may think there is but that is just your opinion. Thousands of children are being abused and some even are dieing. These poor children are being hurt and it needs to stop. I really hope you take this thought into consideration and help improve our country. Thank you for your time and I hope you have a bright time making America better for us. And don’t forget that if you change this problem, you could save a child’s live.

With admiration and respect,

L. Stocks and C. Baker

Glenbrook Middle School

Grade 7 English Language Arts

The seventh grade students have researched, discussed, and thought carefully about a variety of issues that challenge our nation and the next president. Here are their thoughts about what the next president must do to improve our country and all of our lives.