Zhari Texas

Safety and the Second Amendment

Sensible gun control

Dear Mr. or Mrs. Future President, My name is Zhari I am 17 years old.

I’m here to inform you about Gun Control. President Barack Obama announced his plan to tighten control and enforcement of firearms in the United States. He insisted that it was possible to uphold the Second Amendment and make changes. The government will also consider other factors, including how many guns a person sells and whether those guns are sold for a profit. If these rules had been in place in the past, they probably would not have prevented the recent mass shootings. Example, 20 first-graders killed in 2012 at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut. The measures would prevent even a single gun death. We maybe can't save everybody, but we could save some. Walmart managers in Texas have a new job: asking customers if they have a permit to carry a handgun. There's been another mass shooting in America. This time, at a community college in Oregon. That means there are more American families, moms, dads, children, whose lives have been changed forever. Parents across the country, and across the globe who are scared because they know it might have been their families or their children. Congress that explicitly blocks us from even collecting more data, or information, on how we could potentially reduce gun deaths. This is a political choice that we make to allow this to happen every few months in America. We collectively are answerable to those families who lose their loved ones because of our mistakes. When Americans are killed in mine disasters, we work to make mines safer. When Americans are killed in floods and hurricanes, we make communities safer. When roads are unsafe, we fix them to reduce car deaths. We have seatbelt laws because we know it saves lives. So the notion that gun violence is somehow different? That our freedom and our Constitution forbids any modest regulation of how we use a deadly weapon? When there are law abiding gun owners all across the country who could hunt and protect their families and do everything they do under such regulations doesn’t make sense. those of us who are lucky enough to hug our kids a little closer are thinking about the families who aren't so fortunate, I’d ask the American people to think about how they can get our government to change these laws, and to save lives, and to let young people grow up. If you think this is a problem, then you should expect your elected officials to reflect your views. I would particularly ask America’s gun owners to think about whether your views are properly being agreed by the organization that suggests it's speaking for you. And each time this happens I'm going to bring this up. Each time this happens I am going to say that we can actually do something about it, but we're going to have to change our laws. This is not something I can do by myself. Join me so we can make a difference in this global universe.