Elias H.

Gun control is difficult to enforce.

Dear The Next President,

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution states that Americans have the right to bear arms. However, an increase in gun violence and police shootings has led citizens and politicians alike to reinterpret this amendment with the best interest of the American people in mind. To take away the right to possess guns and ammunition in a country that has permitted them since its founding would be difficult and unpopular. Too many people own guns and too many strongly support the use of the devices. Yet some limitations could be enforced on the right to keep deadly massacres and shootings at bay.

Gun control is not easy to enforce. The concept itself has many problems. Many believe that gun control is contradictory because people are not okay with gun violence and the end of lives due to guns, but are okay with the concept with abortion, which ends plenty of possible lives in the USA every day. Another problem is that people will always possess guns, no matter what laws may be in place. Because of this, violence from guns will still happen. It’s like the possession of illegal drugs: as long as they exist, the American people will still use them, despite the restrictions against them.

Here in the United States, there is a list called the No-Fly List that classifies certain people suspected of planning terrorist plots that cannot be allowed on a plane. Some Americans believe that if a person is too potentially dangerous to be allowed on a plane, they should not be allowed to purchase guns either. After the shootings in San Bernardino, President Barack Obama addressed this issue, claiming it was “insane” that those on the list can simply “walk into a store and buy a gun.” In addition to restrictions on purchasing guns, 48% believe that there should be stricter background checks before purchasing weapons, including checks on criminal record and mental wellbeing. On top of all this, extensive training has also been recommended.

Gun control is a big concern in the presidential election. Whoever the next president may be, gun control should be on their mind and ever present, and it should be solved as soon as possible, before more lives become in danger of death by a gun.