Yaseen Illinois

Gun Deaths Emphasized By Numbers

Too many guns are all around us, too many, and we need to do something about that.

Guns are terrorizing our country. In 2015 alone, there have been almost 33, 800 deaths in the United States. These include homicides, suicides, unintentional manslaughter, and many other causes. The main reason for all of this is the amount of guns in the country. In 2009, it was estimated that there were 114,000,000 handguns, 110,000,000 rifles, and 86,000,000 shotguns in the U.S, all totaling up to 310,000,000 firearms, not including military related arms. The population then was 306,000,000 people.

Now, it is estimated that three percent of the population owns all of the guns in the country. 9,570,000 people, to be more exact. The total amount of firearms in the country right now adds up to 265,000,000, non military related, meaning that each person in the ownership of a firearm would own twenty eight other firearms as well. This is an amount no one needs, and in the case of self defense and hunting one person may need one or two, three at most. This is the reason for those 34,000 deaths.

People who do not know how to use a gun, when to use one, and why to use one should never be given guns. The government needs to tighten gun laws and background checks, and need to make sure consumers can use them correctly. Also, there should be a limit to the amount a person can own. This would keep many guns off of the streets and reduce crime as well as save countless lives.  

East Prairie

8th SS AM

8th SS AM