Maddison Oregon

Equality For All

This country deserves equality for all.

Equality is defined as the state of being equal, especially in status, rights, and opportunities. A problem in this country that you will have to deal with as President is inequality. This country is full of inequality and it needs to be changed. I believe that all of us as humans should be equal. Many believe that we are already equal, but this is not the case. No matter what gender, race, or sexual orientation we are, we should be equal in all settings.

When it comes to gender, we are not equal. Women and men do not get the same opportunities, jobs, or even the same pay. One of the biggest problems when it comes to gender equality is the wage gap. Men tend to make more money than women in this country and this is not right. Even in the same job, men will make more money than women. According to the Institute for Women’s Policy Research, in 2015 women would only make 80 cents for every dollar a man was making. That is a 20% wage gap. Different genders are not equal in this country.

Racial discrimination is a problem in this country as well. Not only socially, but even in the criminal justice system. In this country there has always been a problem with racial inequality. Sure we have come far from where we used to be, but we are still not equal. African Americans are still viewed in a negative way by many people and it needs to change. In this country there is racism and white privilege. This needs to change and all races need to be equal.

People who have different sexual orientation than straight aren’t treated equal to most either. The LGBT+ community does not get the same rights as others. According to the American Civil LIberties Union (ACLU), “Businesses openly fire LGBT employees, and every year, lesbian and gay Americans are denied jobs and access to housing, hotels and other public accommodations.” This community is denied the rights that others are given just because they are different from others and that is not equality. Many are forced to hide their lives and lie to loved ones just to get basic human rights. No one should have to lie about who they are just to get a job, house, or to even be loved by their families. Everyone deserves to have a way to provide for themselves and others and a place to live.

As the President of the United States, it is your job to fix the problems we currently have. What I have written about is a big one that needs fixing. Everyone deserves basic human rights no matter what gender, race, or sexual orientation they are. Everyone deserves equality. It is your job to make sure that happens.

Maddison