Oscar F. Oregon

The affects of immigration on America, and what we need to do to solve them

My name is Oscar Fryman, and I’m from Albany Oregon, and I'm a junior at West Albany High School. There is a rising issue in America that has come to my attention. It is illegal immigration.

There are many illegal undocumented immigrants that are committing serious crimes and taking advantage of the United States benefits .According to Christine Rousselle a writer for Town Hall, Kathryn Steinle lost her life in San Fransisco to Francisco Sanchez an illegal immigrant who had been deported 5 times previously. We need much better security regarding people that are coming to America. Every other country in the world has very strict policies regarding travel visas, passports and visitation or occupying their countries compared to the United States.

There are over 6.5 million undocumented immigrants in America illegally, and 62 percent of them are using the system according to Pew Rese . This has cost each hard working taxpayer households about 14,000 dollars each year. So one solution is to have all undocumented illegal immigrants deported back to their home country, and allowed to return if they choose to do so, by the legal process that is already set in place, and most importantly secure our southern border by building a wall to keep out criminals and the violence that threatens our society.

You're probably thinking, “How is all of this going to be payed for?” Well, according to the high ranking border control security agent, Kumar Kibble, has informed congress that it would cost $12,500 per immigrant. Plus, not mention $49 billion to secure our southern border with a wall. So, you’re looking at around $130 billion.

That’s a lot of money, but considering the fact that illegal immigration costs America 100 billion dollars a year according to the Federation for American Immigration Reform.

So within at least two years, America would already be saving money. Another way to look at it is more like an investment. In addition, there would be new jobs created. For example, people would be needed to construct the wall along with border and many security agents to monitor its success.

Additionally, there are many people that have come to the U.S. and become wonderful people that contribute to our society. Which leads me to conclude that we don’t need those that come here to take money from the system or bring drugs and violence and crime into our towns and cities. So that is why we need to make our immigration system better and more efficient for those people who want to live the American dream and contribute to our society.