Jared Oregon

Why The Gun Rights Should Be Looked At Again

Why must the gun right policy be looked at again? It needs to be revised because of the amount of shootings in the past 10 years.

Dear Next President:

I am a student at West Albany High School and I have deep concerns regarding our nation’s gun policy. I hear quite a bit of discussion from individuals about the need for revised laws concerning weapon control. Some people are asking if changing some of the aspects in the policy would reduce shootings and control terrorism. Many civilians are afraid that if we don't do anything “progressive” towards change with weapons, the United States will get worse. Personally, I believe the gun policy should change, but not by taking guns away from citizens. The Second Amendment declares that an American citizen has the right not to be infringed upon by anyone. This means we are allowed to own and use firearms. However, what should change is how we sell and buy firearms including checking ownership and the counting of weapons.

A good reason to edit the Gun Rights Policy is for defense, not only in homes but in airports, train stations, malls, and so forth. If too many people across the United States are against having concealed weapon permits, then more attacks and shootings will happen. The things that should change are the privileges and how you buy and sell weapons, especially in an uncertified fashion, such as private party selling. Some “Shady Arms Dealing” can start, for example, in a backyard sale with the seller having either ill intent or selling accidentally to a mentally unstable individual. Normally, if you’re having a yard sale, you don't do background checks so you wouldn't even know if someone has had run-ins with the law before. What needs to happen, when selling or purchasing firearms, is that a “certified” arms seller should background check, oversee, and sign a paper that both parties signed and keep on file.

One example supporting my argument is the San Bernardino shooting in San Bernardino, California. On December 2, 2015, fourteen people were killed with twenty-two additionally injured. The shooting took place at the Inland Regional Center. If some of the victims had had  concealed weapons licenses, then maybe there wouldn't have been any fatalities. American citizens deserve the right to feel safe, and if that includes owning a firearm then they should exercise their Amendment rights. The Second Amendment gives us the right to own firearms and even states in itself that, “A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.” Some studies have shown there is lower risk for a break in if you are a gun owner, but it also showed that you are most likely to be robbed by someone you know rather than a stranger.

Why should the policy on guns be changed? It must be changed to increase safety and the feeling of security for the average U.S. civilian. The only changes that I see as necessary are to regulate how citizens will buy and sell firearms, especially when they are selling to a private party. Democrats want the removal of guns from the average person, but that would be going against the Second Amendment that specifically states that we as Americans have the right to own a firearm without that right being infringed upon.

Jesus