Leslie R. Wisconsin

Resolution to Immigration

Viewpoint on immigration

When people think about what made America great, the answer is fairly simple, immigrants. There are 42.4 million or 13.3% of immigrants who are currently living in the U.S. and have successfully helped America economically and socially. There is a wide range of diversity and the concept of the melting pot is in the roots of this nation. Yet, there is still the issue of people believing that Mexican-Americans, Hispanics, and Latinos don’t deserve the right to be in this country and live a better life like any other immigrant. This topic has been brought up in every single presidential debate and is what really separates the Democratic party and Republican party. No plan that has been presented to the public has been successful and people have no concrete answer to resolve this problem. As being the president of a great nation, you have the chance to help these 53.6 million immigrants from coming out of the shadows and be free. 

Many closed-minded Americans believe that Hispanics coming into this country are stealing jobs and are criminals. Donald Trump added more to this negative idea when he said, “ When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending you. They’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists.” Once people heard this they became more skeptical towards what should be done to fix the problem. But there is one major problem that is never thought of, and that is the Hispanic/Latino community just wants to free like any other immigrant in this nation. They leave their old country where life is hard and they can’t support their families, and look for any job to make ends meet. They work the lowest jobs, in horrible conditions, and get paid lower than minimum wage just so they have enough to buy food and have a place to live. They are taking the jobs that many Americans won’t work because of the conditions and pay, but that doesn’t affect Hispanics because at times they work two or more jobs just so they have enough to keep moving forward. So I ask you this, if Hispanics/Latinos are so bad, as portrayed by Donald Trump, then why is it that we take the lowest jobs in order for Americans to have the good jobs and have a better life than oneself?

I can personally relate to this topic because my parents came into this country at the age of 19 in order to give me and my siblings a better life. From the first day my parents stepped on American soil, they have never given up one the “ American Dream” and till this day are still fighting for it. Every single day they work more than 12 hours a day, come home and get a few hours of sleep, and repeat the same thing every single day for 365 days a year. At times, we never got to see them because when they got home we were sleeping because of school nights, but that is something we learned to adapt to. Once we turned the age to work, we went out and started to pitch in and help our parents so they could catch a break once in awhile. Even though at times I question why we are in this country working for a country that doesn’t want us. Then, I look back and thank my parents because they made me realize that if I want something, I have to work really hard for it but at the end it’ll be so meaningful to me because I personally worked for it. People don’t realize how much is sacrificed in order to give our loved ones a better life and a chance to make something of themselves.

I’m not asking for you or anyone else to feel pity for me, but what I am asking is for you to do something to fix this big problem that affects this nation. By passing a law that allows the 11.4 million undocumented immigrants to live the normal American lifestyle and finally be free. Deporting those millions of people will cause lots of problems and there is no good outcome from it. Nobody is going to be working the low class jobs which will hurt the economy very badly, and also millions of dreams will be crushed. The people coming into this country are dreamers, workers, and want the best for their families; so why jump to the conclusion that we should deport them all? So I ask you, what will be done to help this nation that is made up of millions of immigrants, and not discriminate the Hispanic/Latino community in a manner of separating families and ruining dreams? You have great control on how people view our people, so don’t let us down and do what is right for everyone and this country.

Leslie Romero-Hidrogo

Sun Prairie High School

AP Lang and Comp 2

Advanced Placement Language and Composition students.