Eduardo P. Wisconsin

Raise Awareness About Recycling

The benefits of recycling outweigh the few seconds it takes. If the population were to recycle more than energy, water, and materials of the planet can be preserved longer.

I would like you to start bringing awareness to something that should be very important to the nation, recycling materials. Recycling is converting waste into usable material. For example, an individual can recycle a glass bottle and the material (or the bottle itself) will be used again in the same or different product. This process has been the reason why the world isn’t covered in trash and I don’t think the Government haven’t put enough spotlight on the issue because I can name many people who don’t recycle as much as they should.

According to a Harris poll by Regina Corso, around 25 % of Americans do not recycle, but all those who really support this process or simple action do so because they are aware of it fundamental reason why to and that is to preserve as much resources as possible on Earth. Also, this is an action that is neglected way too much and we have no room whatsoever for neglect in a such a dire planet. According to recycle across america, “It requires 95% less energy and water to recycle a can than it does to create a can from virgin materials”. If less energy and water can be used by reusing cans than making other cans then it should be used because not only does it preserve the material in the can, but it preserves resources and water that can be used for other things such as drinking or bottling. Also, “every three months, Americans throw enough aluminum in the landfills to build our nation’s entire commercial air fleet.”. Awareness should rise for recycling because potential amounts comparable to the nation’s commercial air fleet is possible if more people recycle.

I ask that you consider taking action and doing whatever it takes to get more people to recycle and to why they should, after all it could be the reason they don’t because they simply need a bit of a push. Taking action can be as simple as brochures to homes or PSAs for these methods can present persuasive facts. Any methods that bring attention to citizens are effective. It’s important that you take action because recycling has many benefits that are definitely worth bringing attention to and are worth the time and effort of actually recycling.

If you are the person that takes and follows the oath for office, then I hope you know how serious this topic is and that it is your duty to do what it takes to aid our planet. Take action and fight for our planet.

"General Recycling Facts." Recycle Across America, Standardized Recycling Labels. N.p., n.d. Web. 02 Nov. 2016.

Corso, Regina. "One-Quarter Of Americans Do Not Recycle In Their Own Home." The Harris Poll. N.p., 11 July 2007. Web. 2016.

Wauwatosa West High School

Wauwatosa West American Public Policy

All juniors are enrolled in a required civics and public policy course called American Public Policy. The capstone project is the Issue Investigation - students identify an issue that can be solved by the creation, modification, elimination of a public policy. Student letters are their first research step in the Issue Investigation process.