Guillermo M. California

Immigration Benefits the U.S.

Many U.S. citizens and politicians believe that immigration is nothing but a nuisance because immigrants take our jobs, and they create social disorder. The reality is that immigration is great for the country for various reasons.

Many people in our country believe that immigration is a detriment to our country because immigrants take our jobs; they live off government welfare programs; and they bring numerous social issues to this country because they are “different.”  I honestly disagree with all of these ideas because I know that immigration is good for the U.S.

The main argument that everyone against immigration makes is that immigrants are taking our jobs so that leads to higher unemployment rates. This is not the case, however. Many jobs require a social security number and immigrants don’t have social security numbers because they are not citizens or residents. The jobs that don’t require social security numbers are jobs that, in reality, don’t require much education and rely on  hard and brutal labor. Many Americans don’t want to do necessary jobs at the most basic level of labor that we all need like farming, gardening, landscaping, construction, and housekeeping. These are the jobs that immigrants normally do because these are the only jobs that they qualify for and the jobs that no one wants to do. Americans complain that immigrants are taking jobs, but they are only taking the jobs that people don’t want.

Another reason that immigration is good for the country is that immigrants are full of potential that people fail to see. Most immigrants come from low-income families and they have struggled their entire lives. All this makes them more determined to work hard and achieve great success in the future. An example is my own life. Both my parents are immigrants. My mom doesn’t work while my dad had to work very hard to become a manager working as a landscaper. I told myself that I want to have a great job where I make a lot of money and where I can actually enjoy working. I want to work hard because I want all of the benefits of doing this.  In fact, I’ll keep working even if I have everything.

I think that you should do whatever is in your power to help all the immigrants who are coming to the U.S. You must give them a chance to achieve great success in life. Everyone deserves to have the same opportunities because we are all the same no matter where we come from. I hope you take what I said into consideration, Future President.

Guillermo Montemayor

The Preuss School UCSD

Block 8

AP English Lit & Comp, B Day