Anjali M. Texas

Sign a Law that Eradicates Drug Abuse

Persuasive letter with reasons to sign a law that eradicates drug abuse

Dear Mr. or Madam President, 

Our world is changing every day things that we thought would never be a problem in the past are a problem in the present.We never thought happy smiling clowns would do anything some people are creeped out by them, but who knew they would cause harm to people? The most important issue that you should focus on during your presidency is to sign a law eradicating drug abuse because it kills people and hurts our economy

The first reason to eradicate drug abuse is because it can kill people. National statistics show that about twenty-three million people have substance abuse problems and only ten percent get treatment. There are many stories of families who never get to see their children walk down the aisle or have kids of their own. Danny, a drug addict, died on May 13,2004 his mother wrote "He was unresponsive and gasping for his breath..." He was dying before their eyes. On May 13, 2004, my son, Danny, died from an overdose of heroin. He became another statistic in the state of Pennsylvania, a part of the Pennsylvania legal system, a victim of a crime, a victim of the choices he made. Don’t let something that can be fixed be a cause of death for an innocent person.

People might say that when they use drugs they feel better and that is the reason why they think drugs are good. So it may be hard to get people to stop using them. But if we stop people from even getting to those drugs in the first place we can stop them from using and getting addicted to them. For people that are already addicted we can create non-profit programs that helps people with their addiction and helps them maintain a healthy lifestyle, find other ways to cope with their life without using drugs, and offer behavioral counseling. This could greatly improve the lives of people who are affected.

Another reason to eradicate drug abuse is because it hurts our economy. Statistics show that if you have an addiction to Heroin drugs it’s usual to pay $150-$200 per day. Painkiller and Cocaine addiction will cost more. Marijuana will cost thousands per year and alcoholics might spend $300 to $500 a month. You are also less likely to keep a job if you have a drug addiction because the person affected will likely take more sick days. They will also stop performing their job well. All this money could be going into improving your life but instead it is going into the wasteful buying of drugs that don’t even help you stay alive. Just think if we could eradicate drug abuse people who were affected could finally save money and keep a job so that they can survive and strength.

I want to congratulate you Mr. or Madam President for becoming the forty-fifth President of the United States of America if you could focus on signing a law to eradicate drug abuse because it kills innocent people and hurts our economy. The citizens of the U.S will thank you. I hope that you will solve my issue when you are looking for problems to resolve .Thank you for your time.

Works Cited:

Johnson, Alan. "Presidential Politics: Where the Candidates Stand on Drug Abuse, Mental Health." The Columbus Dispatch. The Columbus Dispatch, 13 Oct. 2016. Web. 04 Nov. 2016.

"8 Good Reasons to Quit Using Drugs | Narconon - Addiction and Recovery." RSS. 12 Aug. 2015. Web. 04 Nov. 2016.

"Foundation, The Courage to Speak®. "Teens' Stories of Drug Abuse." Teens' Stories of Drug Abuse. Web. 04 Nov. 2016.